Error installing WinXP. Write Permissions

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
4circles

Error installing WinXP. Write Permissions

Post by 4circles »

Hi,

I get this:

The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take effect..
VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE).

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}

Any help would be great.

Windows in/on Linux.
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Make sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take effect.
the4thchild
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows Vista, MacOS Snow Leopard, Ubuntu 9.10

Post by the4thchild »

I encountered the same issue. The installer appears to have added my user account to the vboxusers group, but I still get the error message described. I checked /dev/vboxdrv, and ownership is root.vboxusers, with r/w permission only for the owner. I was able to get my virtual machine running by changing permissions (sudo chmod 660 /dev/vboxdrv), but after rebooting the host system, the permission had changed back to 600.

Windows XP SP2 guest on Fedora 7 host, VirtualBox 1.5.2 (upgraded from 1.5.0). I tried recompiling the vboxdrv kernel module (sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup), to no avail. Any ideas?

-David
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Just an idea, haven't check it. I guess /dev/vboxdrv comes up thru udev when starting vboxdrv. Maybe I'm wrong but is it possible that you have to modify permissions thru udev???
the4thchild
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows Vista, MacOS Snow Leopard, Ubuntu 9.10

Post by the4thchild »

Thanks for the lead, Ingo. I found the solution here in this bug ticket, related to udev:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/623

Apparently the udev file is removed during the upgrade process from 1.5.0-->1.5.2, and the solution is to uninstall VirtualBox and reinstall it afresh.