Scitech Display Doctor's annoying splash screen (w98 guest)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
gnuser

Scitech Display Doctor's annoying splash screen (w98 guest)

Post by gnuser »

Kubuntu host, Win98 SE guest.

Following the general wisdom I installed Scitech Display Doctor 7 beta. Unfortunately, whenever I boot, SDD displays an obnoxious logo box in the middle of the screen that makes it difficult to do anything else. It's on top of any other window and it can't be moved, and it takes forever to go away.

Does anyone know a way to get rid of this, or at least to minimize it?

I've tried removing the SDD tray icon shortcut from the Startup folder and I've tried registering. Neither helps; that blasted logo blocks the desktop at every boot. This being windows, boots are frequent.

Grateful for any help.
gnuser

Problem solved, mostly

Post by gnuser »

Turns out the View menu lets me turn off the splash.

Can't stop the whole tool from starting up, and tying up the machine while it does, but at least I have the desktop free now.
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

I have a complete solution but alas, details not at hand. From the back of my mind: I removed it from Start menu as well as (perhaps more essential) removing a key from the registry. Hope this helps. Registration does not change anything faik; and install result seems to vary....

(edit 071010) Key was:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SystemTray"="SysTray.Exe"
delete => "Check for SDD updates"="C:\\Program Files\\SciTech Display Doctor\\sddboot.exe"
RavingNoah
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP Home, MS Windows 98, MS Windows 95 Plus!, MS-DOS 6.22, MS-DOS 7.1

Re: Scitech Display Doctor's annoying splash screen (w98 gue

Post by RavingNoah »

Greetings from 2016...

Thanks, this helped a lot. I was ready to tear my hair out.

...and I have so little to spare... I actually didn't delete the whole key, I just added a hash/pound in front of the address. Didn't get any error messages. I'm just paranoid about deleting regkeys, having completely screwed things up while mucking about therein.
ghr
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Re: Scitech Display Doctor's annoying splash screen (w98 gue

Post by ghr »

So you have got a good reason to join this forum :) Welcome !
TMS

Re: Scitech Display Doctor's annoying splash screen (w98 guest)

Post by TMS »

For Win95 I just renamed sddboot.exe to sddbootx.exe (in the scitech folder under Program Files) and it stopped the splash screen on startup. Haven't seen any side effects from that. I can still run the app, change screen properties, etc.