Licence terms on 1.5 OSE Windows Guest Adds exclude OSE term

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
kjpetrie
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: PCLinuxOS, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008, Unity Linux

Licence terms on 1.5 OSE Windows Guest Adds exclude OSE term

Post by kjpetrie »

I have upgraded to version 1.5 of the Open Source Edition, but cannot install the Guest Additions for Windows XP because the licence terms exclude the Open-Source licence, and I do not meet the closed-source terms.

Is it intentional that the Guest additions cannot be lawfully used on the OSE?

I tried to discover by clicking help->about which precise Open Source Licence I am running under, but this information did not appear to be there.
VirtualBox OSE on PCLinuxOS 2010 on Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard (Atom 330), 2GB DDR2 RAM, Maxtor STM325031, Hitachi CDR-7930, ?HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N, Amilo LSL 3220T monitor, Speedtouch 330 DSL modem
Ingo
Volunteer

Re: Licence terms on 1.5 OSE Windows Guest Adds exclude OSE

Post by Ingo »

kjpetrie wrote:Is it intentional that the Guest additions cannot be lawfully used on the OSE?
Here you will find a version for OSE (VBoxGuestAdditions_1.5.0_OSE.iso). So it should be legal to use it.
http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.5.0/
samwise

Post by samwise »

That file is binary equivalent to the full, commercial version. It still requires you to agree to the PUEL.

Try Byron Clark's VirtualBox OSE Windows Guest Additions Installer. It seems to be the only option atm.

Don't think shared folders work with it yet, tho. :(

Sam.
kjpetrie
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: PCLinuxOS, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008, Unity Linux

Post by kjpetrie »

Previous versions of the guest additions had an exception in the licence terms for people installing it in the OSE. This seems to have been removed, even though the guest additions are supplied as part of the OSE. It doesn't make sense.

Actually, they're not supplied as part of the OSE, but bundled with it by some distributors, giving that impression.

OK I understand now. it probably should be clearer that the GA are part of what is not included in the OSE, though they can be used with it, subject to separate terms.
VirtualBox OSE on PCLinuxOS 2010 on Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard (Atom 330), 2GB DDR2 RAM, Maxtor STM325031, Hitachi CDR-7930, ?HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N, Amilo LSL 3220T monitor, Speedtouch 330 DSL modem