anyone got a zune working with VirtualBox ?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
zunicy

anyone got a zune working with VirtualBox ?

Post by zunicy »

I have Gentoo and VB 1.5 running winXP sp2.

Plug in zune and windows shows it in device manager but the Zune software can not find it.

any ideas ?

has anyone ever got a zune working with VB ?
jaystroke

Post by jaystroke »

Have you tried down-grading to version 1.4.0, Old Versions, I have my Zune syncing on this version with Feisty Fawn.

When using 1.4.0 first open the Zune application, then connect the Zune to the virtualbox, if it errors out wait a few seconds and try to connect again. Usually I can get my Zune connected with about 1-3 tries.
 Edit:  Sometimes if you can connect the Zune to the virtualbox and the Zune application does not see the zune, you have to restart XP. 
mcrandello

Post by mcrandello »

I'm in the same boat. I've tried blocking hald from installing drivers for the device in the host OS, and tried every usb port since the device is finicky about that. The device works fine when booted into Windows XP natively. After plugging it into a guest Windows it attempts to load the drivers for it and that's where the problems occur.
The most common errors in the event viewer are:

MTP WPD Driver has failed to start. Error 0x80070490.
followed by:
MTP WPD Driver has failed to start. Error 0x802a0006.

I've seen this one once:
MTP WPD Driver has failed to start. Error 0x80070005.

I wasn't able to find any useful data about the error messages online. I've tried uninstalling/clean boot then reinstalling the software, uninstalling and redetecting the device from WDM, removing the usb controllers from WDM and rebooting. At this point it looks like there's a problem with the sha1 handshake between the Windows drivers and the device. I thought there might be a problem with the serial number since lsusb in the linux host lists it differently than Windows guest or native, however Windows is reading the correct serial number in WDM. I haven't tried downgrading to the earlier software since that would also mean a downgrade in the firmware and replacing the software on two other machines. Hope this helps someone.

edit: Using Kubuntu gutsy host with Windows XP guest, vbox version 1.5.2