Guest System Instability / Aborts

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
holvenstot

Guest System Instability / Aborts

Post by holvenstot »

For what it is worth, I have been having massive problems with my Windows XP guest aborting while running VirtualBox on a modified Ubuntu 7.04 system. Sometimes it would run for a couple of hours, sometimes it would only run for a couple of minutes.

There was nothing I could spot in the VirtualBox logs which would indicate what happened. So I started experimenting.

What I found is that if I disabled USB on the GUI where the guest system is defined, the system comes up and runs forever. However, if I enable USB on the control panel the instability returns. Even if I have not assigned any specific USB devices to the guest system via the drop down window on the guest system's window.

As a kernel tester, I build and deploy a new kernel almost every morning. I am currently running the 2.6.23-rc7 kernel. I have noted that there has been a fair amount of change traffic with USB code in the kernel of late.

However, when I drop back to a 2.6.20 kernel the instability is still present whenever USB is enabled on the control panel's GUI.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else gets the same results. VirtualBox is one heck of a tool but the frequent aborts of the guest system have made it frustrating to use.
nicolash

Same problem in PCLinuxOS

Post by nicolash »

Hi,

I'm suffering the same instability problem. WindowsXP crash for unknown reasons. I'm running PCLinuxOS kernel 2.6.18.8.tex, but before I had it installed in Kubuntu 7.04 and with the same behaviour.
My problem is that I need to use the USB port in the WindowsXP guest.... Any idea on how to overcome this problem.

Thanks
Nicolas

PS: Now I disabled the USB to check if the guest aborts or not....
progman32

Me too...

Post by progman32 »

I have the same problem with win2k as guest on a Core2 duo Gentoo box (in 64-bit mode). If I enable USB, the VM crashes every few minutes (100% CPU usage). I would really like to use this awesome program to transfer music to my Windows-only network walkman (which works until it crashes), but it does not last long enough to even transfer one song.

Any updates? I've tried with 1.4 as well as 1.5, no luck.