Keyboard Doesn't Work

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
KimChiMik

Keyboard Doesn't Work

Post by KimChiMik »

Installed Virtualbox to run my physcial windows partition and installed the guest additions to run the virutal system in seamless mode. Everything worked fine until I Rebooted into to the Native Windows. My keyboard doesn't work, i tried to uinstall the guest additions but after that i can't shut windows down. I unplugged the system and tried tdo boot in safe mode but it froze too.

I'm thinking i may need to file a bug report but i wanted to know if anybody has experienced this issue also.
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

You are running windows thru physical partition access in VirtualBox, right? Then you installed the guest additions (keyboard-, mouse-, display-driver etc.) that will interact with VirtualBox. Then you start the same windows installation directly. Do you really expect that this drivers work with native windows or that the installation of the guest additions does not confuse your native driver installation?
There is a waring in the user manual:
Warning: Raw hard disk access is for expert users only. Incorrect use or use
of an outdated con?guration can lead to total loss of data on the physical
disk. Most importantly, do not attempt to boot the partition with the cur-
rently running host operating system in a guest. This will lead to severe data
corruption.
KimChiMik

Post by KimChiMik »

Yes, i figured that there was a conflict between the drivers that were installed with the guest additions and the current drivers installed which probablly confused my native drivers. My point of concern is even after uninstalling the guest additions i encountered the same issues and more importantly was not able to reinstall my keyboard driver. In Fact, windows would not let me remove my existing keyboard drivers from device manager in hopes that windows will detect my native drivers on the next reboot.

All the other drivers installed by the guest additions seem to interact well with the native drivers. I had no issues with the video, mouse, usb or any other devices. I originally posted to see if anybody else expreienced my issue and possibly if they had found a resolution to it.

Anyways, after reinstalling windows, my workaround on this is to boot to my phycial partition using two hardware profiles. One for native winows and another for my virtualized environment.

PS Thanks for the warning qoute, I was fully in a test environment, anybody who tries a procedure like this in a live production environment is serverly asking for trouble