Guest Additions

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Plisgyn

Guest Additions

Post by Plisgyn »

I am running Windows XP as a guest under Mandriva 2007.1 Spring using the open source version of VirtualBox and am wondering how
to install the Guest Additions as I cannot find the iso. Although I have not yet used the Windows XP Guest much I am impressed with it so
far especially the speed ( guest has 1 gbyte of ram).
Cogar

Post by Cogar »

With the guest running in a window, select the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar then "Install guest additions." This will bring up the Guest Additions .iso in your VM window.
Jacky672
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by Jacky672 »

I'm also running Mandriva 2007.1 and I think "guest additions" is not present on the OSV version. So remove it and install this rpm : http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.3. ... 86.rpm.run

Good luck :wink:
Cogar

Post by Cogar »

As a point of clarification, both versions have Guest Additions. Guest Additions for supported systems provide mouse pointer integration, better video support, time synchronization, and so forth. Some features of Guest Additions, such as shared folders, USB and iSCSI support are currently only available in the proprietary PUEL version.
bodhi.zazen
Volunteer

Re: Guest Additions

Post by bodhi.zazen »

Plisgyn wrote:I am running Windows XP as a guest under Mandriva 2007.1 Spring using the open source version of VirtualBox and am wondering how
to install the Guest Additions as I cannot find the iso. Although I have not yet used the Windows XP Guest much I am impressed with it so
far especially the speed ( guest has 1 gbyte of ram).
FYI the iso is located at :

/opt/VirtualBox-1.3.8/additions/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

For some reason, probably operator error, I find it sometime does not always go so smooth ...

Basically,

Select Devices -> Mount CD/DVD-ROM -> CD/DVD-ROM image

This brings up the virtual Disk Manager

* Select Add
* Browse to:

Linux Host /opt/VirtualBox-1.3.8/additions

Windows Host C:\Program files\InnoTek VirtualBox

* Select VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Click "Select"

3. On the Virtual Machine mount the cdrom

Then, select the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar then "Install guest additions."

If that fails ... mount the iso and copy the installation scripts/files to your guest and install manually.

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/VirtualBo ... ate_Method
If is a virtual machine, is it still broken ?