Two Issues when Rebooting a Windows Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
KimChiMik

Two Issues when Rebooting a Windows Guest

Post by KimChiMik »

I recently Installed VirtualBox 1.5 and i'm very impressed with it and the seameless integration feture. However here's two issues i've seen when i try to reboot.

1).When I run windows updates and allow the interface to reboot my system it goes through the process of rebooting but when it gets to the phase where it reboots the screen goes black and hangs. If i reboot from the start menu it is fine.

2). While in seamelss integration mode, if i reboot my windows Guest O/S i click on the start menu and it doesn't display on the screen. I have to get out of seamless mode and re-enter before the windows start menu will display.

Has anybody else had these issue or know of ways around them?

Thank You
kanwar.plaha

Post by kanwar.plaha »

Hi,
I managed to sort out the vmdk permissions issue. However, when booting the guest OS (XP), I get a grub error 17. Did you manage to get past that? How?

Thanks.
KimChiMik

Post by KimChiMik »

No I didn't get an error 17 from grub but i didn't get much further than you. When windows loaded it did nothing. I think my problem is with the windows profile. Here's just a suggestion, why not create the VMDK of your windows partition just to see if it works or not.

Let me know how things turn out
kanwar.plaha

Post by kanwar.plaha »

I have tried creating vmdk with only the windows partition. That gives me Error 17 when starting. I could not use the -mbr option because I cannot find a windows mbr to assign to it. I tried saving the boot record from my windows partition as an mbr (dd if=/dev/hda1 of=winxp.mbr bs=512 count=1) but that did not work either!

Any luck with your troubleshooting?