WineD3D (Direct3D support)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Processor
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP

Re: WineD3D (Direct3D support)

Post by Processor »

Hello,
I have exactly the same problems
dxdiag also indicate that d3d8 and d3d9 are too old.

Host: Ubuntu 8.04
Guest: XP SP2
Vbox: 2.2
Wined3d: 1.1.19
Processor: Core 2 Duo T5500
GPU: GMA950 intel

Bye

Processor
alzorz
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by alzorz »

I tried and installed this in safe mode and it doesn't seem to work at all for me :S, so know im wondering how do i uninstall this?
Is it just to remove the following files?:
Altaflux wrote:I used:
d3d8.dll
d3d9.dll
d3d10.dll
d3d10core.dll
dxgi.dll
wined3d.dll
libwine.dll
Bigfoot
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL

Post by Bigfoot »

Greetings all, newbie here, just figured I would share my experience with D3D in VirtualBox.

I followed the instructions in the first post and downloaded and installed the latest WineD3D (not sure which one, sorry I couldn't find a version number). Eventually I got it 'working'.

I tested it out using Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis and was able to get the game to run, but only so far. Everything on the screen had a major blue tint to it, and once I got into the main menu of the game it would not give me a mouse cursor, and finally crashed afterwards...

...BUT it is starting to work! I'm excited. This is getting my hopes up to be able to play Operation Genesis and Escape from Monkey Island in Linux again. I got the same issues of DX8 and DX9 being 'too old' and having the tests crash entirely on me with the problem of 'not enough memory' - so this seems like it is going to be a common occurrence for people right now.

Just in case anybody would like to know:
Gentoo Linux 2.6.29-gentoo host
Windows XP SP2 guest
VirutalBox-2.2.0

EDIT:
So after having played around with it more, D3D seems to be working much better than I thought. My mouse cursor is in fact there, it is just moving so super fast that I could not see it before. This seems to be a problem with applications running in fullscreen mode under VirtualBox I have noticed.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Hi all, trying to get this to work. I have Ubuntu 8.10, VBox 2.2 PUEL, and my guest is a fully patched windows XP. I installed the latest WineD3D from the link provided. 3D acceleration works, I can run Half Life 1 in opengl mode and Diablo 2 with a glide wrapper (not in Direct3D).

In dxdiag the DX7 and 8 tests fail, but the 9 test works, though the spinning cube has a lot of tearing.

The two things I really want to run are Guild Wars and Half Life 2. Half Life 2 starts up, but before it gets to the menu (it shows the menu background with the loading message) it crashes with a "send an error report to Microsoft" message. Guild wars starts up, but it runs at about a half frame per second, with black screens between the frames.

Anything I can do? I'd really like to help debug this so that it starts working as expected.
ajmas
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by ajmas »

Just some news from the project page:
Latest release of VirtualBox (2.2.0) seems to introduce a critical regression affecting WineD3D code. The regression is in the ICD driver (guest side), so it only takes effect when upgrading to latest Guest Additions (or when installing Guest Additions from VirtualBox 2.2.0).

Users are advised to avoid upgrading Guest Additions if they want WineD3D to continue working, untill this problem is resolved.

More details in http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3762
VB version: 6.x Primary OS: MacOS X 11.0.1 on Intel Mac
raevol

Post by raevol »

Did 2.2.2 effect this regression at all?
ajmas

Post by ajmas »

According to the ticket it was not going to be able to be put into the next maintenance release, which means 2.2.2, and there is nothing in the changelog. I will see if I can find out from the developers involved. Until then the only thing that you can do is test it to find out. I wish I had a better answer.
raevol

Post by raevol »

No worries, I didn't see it in the changelog either, so I will just wait it out. Thanks for the info.
ajmas

Post by ajmas »

According to the reply to my comment in the ticket: "We cannot guarantee any ETA for the next major release, sorry. The expected range is a few months.".

The issue is apparently complicated enough that it can't make its way in a maintenance release, so we will probably see this in 2.3.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

I opened a new thread here:
3D Acceleration Support : WineD3D Analysis
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 432#p76432
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Lets stick to one thread then. Locked.

Changed to sticky, changes/additions can be send to any Mod.