USB Devices

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Cheater

USB Devices

Post by Cheater »

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition in VirtualBox 1.4.0 on Ubuntu Gutsy. I just can't get any USB devices to work. For that matter, there isn't even an option to specify a USB device in any of the menus (I know there is mean to be an option under settings and an icon in the bottom right corner of a VM). Any help on getting this working would be greatly appreciated. Please note, I've read many of the docs and forum posts here. At one point, I got the icon and setting option to appear, but it disappeared shortly after.

Thanks in advance.
Virtul_Tim

USB Devices

Post by Virtul_Tim »

Hi Cheater,
I am using XP Pro as the base OS with two virtual machines - XP Pro so I can test some software without adding yet more bloatware to my system, and Ubuntu Feisty Fawn and I have got both USB devices like mouse, keyboard and memory sticks working using version 1.4.
To get the mem stick (2gb USB 2.0) recognised I have found that first it has to be recognized in the Virtual Box USB config and set up as a filter, then in the base OS (XP) a new device is automatically found called Virtual Box USB and installed).
Then when the virtual machine is started the USB device can be selected from the Devices drop down in the case of my virtual Windoze session, and is automatically displayed on the desktop in Ubuntu.
While the Virtual Machine is running the mem stick is invisible to the base OS.
Hope this info helps
Cheater

Post by Cheater »

There is one problem. When I open the 'Settings' menu, I get an error. There also is no USB option on the settings menu.
Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).The service might be not installed on the host computer.
DuncanS

Enabling USB in Ubuntu hosts

Post by DuncanS »

A (working) workaround for this is posted at:

http://michael-prokop.at/blog/2007/07/1 ... albox-usb/

Duncan