Cannot write to floppy

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rasi

Cannot write to floppy

Post by rasi »

I've just installed VirtualBox 1.4.0 on Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty 64-bit with Windows 2000 as guest system. Everything works fine - and fast! - with one exception: I can read data from a floppy (/dev/fd0) but I cannot write to it. The VM claims the floppy to be write-protected. All permissions are OK. The VM user is a member of the vboxusers and floppy group.

Googling for a solution didn't help. Any hint from here?
kjpetrie
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: PCLinuxOS, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008, Unity Linux

Post by kjpetrie »

I think this is a bug in VirtualBox. VB is inverting the write-protect flag from the floppy. You will find if you write-protect the disc, your guest will now be able to "write" to it, and will probably even show the written files in the file manager for a while. Of course, it cannot really write to the disc; only to the buffer, and sooner or later your host will try to flush the buffer and the game will be up. At least, that's what happens to me, whether using a Linux guest or a Windows one.
VirtualBox OSE on PCLinuxOS 2010 on Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard (Atom 330), 2GB DDR2 RAM, Maxtor STM325031, Hitachi CDR-7930, ?HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N, Amilo LSL 3220T monitor, Speedtouch 330 DSL modem