windows xp guest goes blackscreen after Guest Additions installed

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
pierogra

windows xp guest goes blackscreen after Guest Additions installed

Post by pierogra »

hello, I created a windows xp virtual machine on windows 10 and everything worked. But after installing the Guest Additions, the guest system shows a black screen rather than the xp desktop. How can I fix? A thousand thanks.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 24. May 2023, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed topic title to reflect problem
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: windows xp guest goes blackscreen after Guest Additions installed

Post by scottgus1 »

If you're running Virtualbox 7.0.8, then it's probably the 7.0.8 Guest Additions bug for XP.

Either use 7.0.6's Guest Additions https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... _7.0.6.iso
or the 7.0 test builds Guest additions.

Boot the XP VM into Safe Mode, web-search for how, then uninstall the Guest Additions. Reboot the VM into Normal mode, and install the replacement GAs.
JIMCUM

Post by JIMCUM »

Thanks, I install VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.6.iso, work well, so the problem is la new version.
pierogra

Post by pierogra »

Thanks for the reply. But I don't know how to install the old g.a. since the host and guest machines are not communicating.
Thank you
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

pierogra wrote:I don't know how to install the old g.a. since the host and guest machines are not communicating.
scottgus1 wrote:Boot the XP VM into Safe Mode, web-search for how, then uninstall the Guest Additions. Reboot the VM into Normal mode, and install the replacement GAs.
TheiApe

Post by TheiApe »

scottgus1 wrote:If you're running Virtualbox 7.0.8, then it's probably the 7.0.8 Guest Additions bug for XP.

Either use 7.0.6's Guest Additions https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... _7.0.6.iso
or the 7.0 test builds Guest additions.

Boot the XP VM into Safe Mode, web-search for how, then uninstall the Guest Additions. Reboot the VM into Normal mode, and install the replacement GAs.
Thanks very much, it works for me !
pierogra

Post by pierogra »

I probably didn't explain myself well, I burned the image I downloaded of the VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.6 on a cdrom, but I can't access it from the xp guest. How to do? Thank you
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There is absolutely no need to burn any ISO to a physical CD-ROM. Just map the ISO directly to the VM, instead of mapping a host drive.

There is also no need to download the Guest Additions ISO, if you are using genuine VirtualBox rather than one of the Linux repo third party builds - which we don't support here.

The user manual tells you how to install the Guest Additions. Just follow that, and don't add your own not-mentioned steps (like downloading ISOs).
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

pierogra wrote:I burned the image I downloaded of the VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.6 on a cdrom,
As Mpack says, no need to do this, Virtualbox can use the ISO directly. However, to fix the 7.0.8 GAs XP bug, you will need the 7.0.6 GAs ISO, as you've got now.

Since you have a separate ISO now, you can't use the usual method of "Insert Guest Additions CD Image", since that "image" will still be the 7.0.8 GAs ISO bundled with 7.0.8 Virtualbox.

Here's how to get the 7.0.6 GAs ISO (or any other ISO) loaded into the VM:

In the main Virtualbox window, select the XP VM in the list. The VM's settings will appear in the right-side pane.
Find the Storage section, then click the words "Optical drive".
A popup menu will appear. Click "Choose a Disk File...".
An "Optical Disk Selector" window will appear. Click "Add".
In the file selector window that appears, browse to the 7.0.6 GAs ISO, and choose it, then click Choose in the "Optical Disk Selector" window.
The VM's CD drive will now have the 7.0.6 GAs "CD" in its CD drive.
pierogra

Post by pierogra »

You were great scottgus1 with your step by step explanation, solved my problem. Many thanks to you and also to everyone who took my problem to heart
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.