Copy/paste hangs software in host Ubuntu

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Bushido

Copy/paste hangs software in host Ubuntu

Post by Bushido »

Hi!

I am using VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.1.38, Extension Pack 6.1.38r153438 and Guest Additions 7.0.4.154605.
Host is Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS 64-bit (Wayland, gnome 42.5), 16.2GB RAM. Guest is Windows 10 Home 19044.2965 64-bit 21H2, Windows Feature Experience pack is 1000.19041.1000.0, 3GB RAM.

In my case, the latest official Brave browser for Ubuntu does not respond and I am forced to shut it down after I click "Ctrl+V" i.e. paste a text to Brave.
If I try to paste for example to gedit text editor for Ubuntu, nothing is pasted and edit does not hang. It happens only with Brave.
My solution has been to close Guest Additions .exe file and stop it's service via Windows Task Manager and restart the service and execute .exe manually. During the period of closing Guest Additions .exe, both Brave and Windows are unresponsive. After the .exe closes, both becomes responsive.
What might cause it?
Attachments
Windows 10-2023-05-22-23-36-20.log.zip
VM log file
(29.56 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Copy/paste hangs software in host Ubuntu

Post by scottgus1 »

Bushido wrote:VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.1.38 ... and Guest Additions 7.0.4.154605.
This is an incorrect configuration. The feature interface for software can't reliably be newer than the software: api's will change in ways older software aren't programmed for. Yesterday's GAs are OK, today's GAs are usually perfect; tomorrow's GAs are time travel, and no TARDIS's have been invented yet.

I'd suggest downgrading GAs to match host Virtualbox through a uninstall/reboot/prerequisites/install cycle. https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq

Then if the problem continues, re-post a zipped vbox.log.
Bushido

Post by Bushido »

scottgus1 wrote:
Bushido wrote:VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.1.38 ... and Guest Additions 7.0.4.154605.
This is an incorrect configuration. The feature interface for software can't reliably be newer than the software: api's will change in ways older software aren't programmed for. Yesterday's GAs are OK, today's GAs are usually perfect; tomorrow's GAs are time travel, and no TARDIS's have been invented yet.

I'd suggest downgrading GAs to match host Virtualbox through a uninstall/reboot/prerequisites/install cycle. https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq

Then if the problem continues, re-post a zipped vbox.log.

What would be the result of upgrading Virtualbox, Extension package and GA to the latest version?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

7.0 is newish and still in bug-hunt phase. You may want to try 7.0, but I'd suggest doing so on a clone of your host OS stored on a different drive, so your existing host OS remains unchanged. (Or at least a restorable host OS image.)
Bushido

Post by Bushido »

The problem continues. I am re-posting a zipped vbox.log.

I noticed that visually the Brave browser window seems to work normally during the hang i.e. the blinking line indicating a place to insert a text blinks like usual but I cannot click on nothing. If i try, I get the "force shut" suggestion.
Attachments
Windows 10-2023-05-24-07-07-13.log.zip
Zipped vbox.log
(23.07 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Bushido

Post by Bushido »

It happened again after VirtualBox and Extension pack has been upgraded to 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.15.3).
Attachments
Windows 10-2023-05-26-07-18-50.log
(93.49 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
FranceBB
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP x86

Post by FranceBB »

Known bug: viewtopic.php?p=531641

Please comment here saying that you can reproduce and add your logs too: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21212

Hopefully if it gets enough people to reproduce and comment in the bug tracker it will raise the attention of the Oracle Devs.
Bushido

Post by Bushido »

FranceBB wrote: 9. Jun 2023, 16:59 Known bug: viewtopic.php?p=531641

Please comment here saying that you can reproduce and add your logs too: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21212

Hopefully if it gets enough people to reproduce and comment in the bug tracker it will raise the attention of the Oracle Devs.
Please uninstall the present version and install 6.1.40 from here https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-6.1#v40, just like the administrator of this forum suggested.
FranceBB
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP x86

Post by FranceBB »

I can't, 6.x wouldn't work with Fedora 38 with the latest kernel anyway.
I'm running the latest development snapshot.
Bushido

Post by Bushido »

FranceBB wrote: 9. Jun 2023, 18:44 I can't, 6.x wouldn't work with Fedora 38 with the latest kernel anyway.
I'm running the latest development snapshot.
If the same hang reproduces in the latest development snapshot, then a log of it would also help.
Bushido

Post by Bushido »

An another hang occured:
Windows 10-2023-06-12-11-46-15.log.zip
Zipped log
(20.76 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
. This time the Virtualbox was usable during the hang. Only latest official Brave browser hanged for a couple of minutes.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

7.0.8 Virtualbox, Extension Pack, & Guest Additions are in use on Bushido's VM.

Bushido's logs show lots of this:
00:27:26.008738 Shared Clipboard: Requesting data in format 0x1 for X11 host failed with VERR_TIMEOUT
00:27:26.008796 Shared Clipboard: Converting VBox formats 'UNICODETEXT' to 'UTF8_STRING' for X11 (idxFmtX11=1, fmtX11=3, atomTarget='UTF8_STRING') failed, rc=VERR_TIMEOUT
00:27:26.011548 Shared Clipboard: Signalling host about guest clipboard data failed with VERR_NOT_FOUND
Just to clarify, you're trying to paste from the Windows VM to the Linux host? What text are you trying to paste, and what is its source?

Further test, if the source was the address bar of a web browser in the VM, what happens when you try to paste from Notepad in the VM to gedit on the host?
Bushido

Post by Bushido »

I am trying to paste from the Windows VM to the Linux host. I am trying to paste a not formatted text from a segment of Editor View of SDL Trados Studio.
At the moment, usual behaviour happens when you I try to paste from Notepad in the VM to gedit on the host.

During the hangs I have also tested the latter scenario and then nothing is pasted to gedit, although I can paste fine within the host.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Bushido wrote: 12. Jun 2023, 14:42 usual behaviour happens when you I try to paste from Notepad in the VM to gedit on the host.
Does this mean pasting happens correctly, without trouble?
Bushido wrote: 12. Jun 2023, 14:42 I am trying to paste a not formatted text from a segment of Editor View of SDL Trados Studio.
Does the trouble happen with any other program on the VM?

If I interpret correctly above, the fact that Notepad > gedit works shows Virtualbox's clipboard is working.

I remember a couple things:
A. Someone a long time ago reported something about a web browser, maybe Chrome(?) where the text from the address bar was specially formatted and failed to copy properly.
B. A forum guru (Mpack?) said some apps don't "copy" to the clipboard in the normal sense by shoving a bunch of text out, but instead push out a pointer to the text to be copied, and the source and destination apps communicate directly to transfer the data. This "API-like" copy/paste isn't supported by Virtualbox yet.

I don't know if either of these gives a clue. A cludgy workaround for now might be copy from Trados to Notepad, then recopy from Notepad to the host browser.
Bushido

Post by Bushido »

This means pasting happens correctly, without trouble.

If I remember correctly, the same has happened with memoQ on the VM.