Virtual Box Guest Randomly Freezing

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BlueLagoon

Virtual Box Guest Randomly Freezing

Post by BlueLagoon »

PC
Dell Optiplex 5000 Micro BTX

Host
Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Build 22621.1702

Virtual Box
7.0.8 r1156879 (Qt5.15.2)

Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Build 22621.1702

Since creating the Windows 11 Guest I’ve started getting intermittent Freezes and the only way that I can get it running again is to Power Off the Machine.
I read somewhere on this Forum that Enabling 3D Acceleration may resolve the issue but all that it did was slow the Guest and give Notepad a Black Background with Black Text.
I’ve attached a zip file of the Logs and the Settings that I’ve used and I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Thank you.
Attachments
VB Logs and Settings.zip
(251.43 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual Box Guest Randomly Freezing

Post by mpack »

It is not a good idea to assign 100% of available CPU cores to guest code. Try reducing to two cores.

I'd also reduce the RAM allocation to 6GB.

But your biggest problem is probably that you have Hyper-v enabled.
00:00:05.160175 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:05.187072 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
BlueLagoon

Post by BlueLagoon »

Thanks for the reply mpack.

I've reduced the cores to 4 and the RAM to 6144 but I can't find Hyper-V anywhere in the settings, please can you tell me how to disable this?

Thank you
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ah, I forgot to reference the "disable Hyper-v" tutorial. See here: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

Why does guest code need 4 cores and the host (which includes VirtualBox) needs only 2?
BlueLagoon

Post by BlueLagoon »

Found in the windows control panel - thank you
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I would not have referenced the FAQ if the control panel route was suitable.
BlueLagoon

Post by BlueLagoon »

Okay, I've done all the above and it's just happened again. Anyone got any more suggestions that I can try?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Curious that the uploaded "zip" file doesn't open when I double-click it: Windows says it's not a valid zip file. Yet when I open it in 7-zip, it shows to be a 7z file (7-zip's proprietary format). Changing extensions causes trouble.

The log shows 7.0.8 GAs installed. 7.0 has some graphics bugs being worked on. Either the 7.0.6 GAs https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... _7.0.6.iso or the Test Builds GAs test builds have been reported to be stable.

Uninstall the 7.0.8 GAs, reboot the VM, install the replacement GAs.

If reverting GAs does not make the VM stable, please post a new vbox.log, with the extension on the zip file unchanged.
BlueLagoon

Post by BlueLagoon »

scottgus1 wrote:Curious that the uploaded "zip" file doesn't open when I double-click it: Windows says it's not a valid zip file. Yet when I open it in 7-zip, it shows to be a 7z file (7-zip's proprietary format). Changing extensions causes trouble.

The log shows 7.0.8 GAs installed. 7.0 has some graphics bugs being worked on. Either the 7.0.6 GAs https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... _7.0.6.iso or the Test Builds GAs test builds have been reported to be stable.

Uninstall the 7.0.8 GAs, reboot the VM, install the replacement GAs.

If reverting GAs does not make the VM stable, please post a new vbox.log, with the extension on the zip file unchanged.

Sorry about the file extension, I didn't think that it would be a problem.
I tried uninstalling GA 7.0.8 then rebooting the installing GA 7.0.6 then rebooted but VBox soon froze. then I tried rebooting and uninstalling 7.0.6, rebooting then installing 7.0.9-157345 but got the same problem.

I've attached the VBox.log created by Window Explorer Compress to ZIP file

Thanks for your help
Attachments
VBox.zip
(40.05 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The original posted log had this for paravirtualization (System settings, Acceleration tab):
00:00:05.483835 GIM: Using provider 'HyperV' (Implementation version: 0)
The new log has this:
00:00:05.340232 GIM: Using provider 'Minimal' (Implementation version: 0)
Why the change? Hyper-V paravirtualization (or Default) is correct.
BlueLagoon

Post by BlueLagoon »

scottgus1 wrote:The original posted log had this for paravirtualization (System settings, Acceleration tab):
00:00:05.483835 GIM: Using provider 'HyperV' (Implementation version: 0)
The new log has this:
00:00:05.340232 GIM: Using provider 'Minimal' (Implementation version: 0)
Why the change? Hyper-V paravirtualization (or Default) is correct.
I changed these to see if it would stop the freezing but it didn't, I'll change it back to Hyper-V and try again but it was freezing when it was Hyper-V before.

Just tried it and it froze within seconds or trying to do something.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, thanks for the clarification. Please post another log with the paravirtualization setting correct.

The only thing I have left is host Hyper-V being enabled. Mpack posted the link to disable Hyper-V above. You responded that you tried it, but:
the last log posted wrote:00:00:05.093275 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
Host Hyper-V is still enabled. Please note and apply step 6 paragraph 2 final sentence, and also note the problem that may interfere in step 6 paragraph 3.
BlueLagoon

Post by BlueLagoon »

scottgus1 wrote:OK, thanks for the clarification. Please post another log with the paravirtualization setting correct.

The only thing I have left is host Hyper-V being enabled. Mpack posted the link to disable Hyper-V above. You responded that you tried it, but:
the last log posted wrote:00:00:05.093275 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
Host Hyper-V is still enabled. Please note and apply step 6 paragraph 2 final sentence, and also note the problem that may interfere in step 6 paragraph 3.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've turned off Hyper-V again, see attached bcdedit.txt I've also attached the latest VBox.log
Sorry, I didn't understand the ' Please note and apply step 6 paragraph 2 final sentence, and also note the problem that may interfere in step 6 paragraph 3' Please could you clarify?

Thank you.
Attachments
bcdedit.txt
(1.11 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
VBox.zip
(40.05 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Hyper-V is still turned on.
BlueLagoon wrote: I didn't understand the ' Please note and apply step 6 paragraph 2 final sentence, and also note the problem that may interfere in step 6 paragraph 3'
step 6 paragraph 2 wrote:Your Virtualbox should be running now. If the green turtle still appears and the tell-tale lines are in the log, try all the steps again. If you don't get the standard virtualization icon, post back exactly what you did and we'll try to help some more.
step 6 paragraph 3 wrote:If your computer is running in a corporate environment with IT overlords, they may have forced Hyper-V, and none of the above will help. You will have to get IT to turn off Hyper-V so that you can run Virtualbox.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, please also take note of my post below the FAQ post (Re: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)), which elaborates on Memory Integrity not being prevented by the BCD edit and what to do about it.