Windows ME Videodriver error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
D_Snutts

Windows ME Videodriver error

Post by D_Snutts »

Hello. There are problems with installing the video driver on Windows ME. I tried using different instructions, changed the video adapter, changed the amount of video memory, but everything is the same. When logging in, he writes "The driver file that correctly displays the elements on the screen does not work". What should I do?
Attachments
Error
Error
VirtualBox_2_17_05_2023_11_19_46.png (5.6 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows ME Videodriver error

Post by mpack »

What "video driver" are you referring to? VirtualBox does not provide any drivers for Windows ME. E.g. there are no Guest Additions for ME. See the user manual: GAs are for NT family only, and even there you need Win7 or later for complete graphics support.

The only graphics option supported by VitualBox which you can use in ME is VESA. See Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes for instructions on installing the BearWindows VESA driver.
D_Snutts

Post by D_Snutts »

mpack wrote:What "video driver" are you referring to?
I'm referring to a certain adapter called VBE Miniport - Standart PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) version 4.0 by Anapa Corp. It was described in most of the instructions and it worked fine for everyone.
javispedro
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Old & New Windows, Linux

Post by javispedro »

I keep randomly hitting these issues with all VBE/VESA drivers and I never fully figure out the reason. Sometimes increasing or decreasing the VideoRAM, or using one of the vram-limited versions of VBEMP helps.

There are now a couple of additional drivers to try, like the one from os2museum: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/windows-9x- ... driver-hd/

Or this one which claims to even support 3D acceleration: https://github.com/JHRobotics/softgpu
(albeit I don't recommend it unless you really need 3D accel, since it seems complex to install).