VirtualBox 7.0.8 and BSOD

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
hack3rcon

VirtualBox 7.0.8 and BSOD

Post by hack3rcon »

Hello,
I use Debian 10.13 x64 and upgraded my VirtualBox to the last version. I installed a Windows 7 x64 as a VM and installed the guest additions also. After it, when I want to resize my VM screen, BSOD happened:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (61.62 KiB) Viewed 2058 times
dxgmms1.sys dxgmms1.sys+27091 fffff880`03792000 fffff880`037d8000 0x00046000 0x57089785 4/9/2016 10:17:49 AM Microsoft® Windows® Operating System DirectX Graphics MMS 6.1.7601.23418 (win7sp1_ldr.160408-2045) Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
Is it a bug?

Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox 7.0.8 and BSOD

Post by scottgus1 »

7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase, and graphics had a code change.

Please upgrade to the latest 7.0 Virtualbox, Extension Pack if used, and Guest Additions.

If this does not get a stable VM, try switching the 3D acceleration setting (off > on or on > off). If that stabilizes the VM, please note that this happened.

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

If your host OS is Linux, please provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command in the Bugtracker ticket, too. (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).

Then you could downgrade Virtualbox, Extension Pack and Guest Additions to 6.1.something, or at least the Guest Additions. 3D acceleration won't be possible if you only downgrade the GAs. For full 3D acceleration using the old stable code, downgrade all three.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

hack3rcon wrote: Is it a bug?
Very possible, but given that the crash happens inside a DirectX driver I don't know that I'd assume that the problem is in VirtualBox.

DirectX calls inside the guest are relayed to the host graphics API, so I would check for updated host graphics drivers.

Also I'd have liked to see a VM log. After 159 posts you should know to provide this without waiting to be prompted. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

Hello,
Thank you so much for all replies.
I remove the guest additions and when I wanted to reinstall it, I unchecked the Direct3D Support (Experimental) option and problem solved.
piggyz

Post by piggyz »

I confirm everything. Direct3D support, even if experimental, used to work on all Windows (but 7 and well obviously the not maintained anymore XP) under GA-7.0.6.

GA-7.0.8 are BADLY BADLY BADLY broken related with the Windows guest. 3D doesn't work anymore on ANY Windows guest OS. Blue Screen of death, corruption, everything you could image.

I'm not a Windows guest user so for me is not essential, then I had to downgrade to 7.0.6 to still have a Windows 10 guest machine in working state (even Windows 11 guest is badly broken related with 3D support).

Now, if there is a problem with 3D with this release, it should be written in Changelog, then I read in Changelog a code change to improve Windows 7 GUI performance. Considering under GA-7.0.6 EVERY Windows guest was working in 3D on my systems (but WIndows 7 and some glitches in Windows 11), I'm asking if there is some Quality Control before issue a release. No pun intended and not even very interested in the Windows enulation, then maybe other users are in it for Windows.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Since nobody is willing to provide a log I'm going to lock this "topic of pointless speculation".