Windows 10 stuck Preparing automatic repair

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
desirat

Windows 10 stuck Preparing automatic repair

Post by desirat »

Hi,
I have a desktop and a laptop both with windows 11 hosts.
I use both with a guest windows 10 for work and sometimes i make a backup on desktop and restore on laptop(just a normal copy paste with guest turn off).
yesterday i did a restore on my laptop and it's stuck
Both have virtualbox 7.0.6 installed.
Anoyone can save me?
Attachments
VBox.log
log
(76.18 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
robdaox

Re: Windows 10 stuck Preparing automatic repair

Post by robdaox »

I had the same issue. I sorted it out unchecking the option "Enable Nested VT-x".
I was able to run Windows again. There were still some updates to be installed, hence, I suppose there is a Windows update that conflict with the Nested VT-x.
I made all the updates, then I enabled again "Enable Nested VT-x" and Windows was stuck again in "Preparing automatic repair".
I'm still working on it. Windows version is 2004 and I have to update it.
Pls let me know if it works for you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

desirat, looks like we missed this one. The VM doesn't look badly built, and the VM "hardware" seemed to be performing correctly.

The log doesn't show more than a second of operation after the VM starts booting from the VM's disk. If that's all the further it got, check that the disk file copied correctly.

Please report back if robdaox's idea helps.
dhina
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Post by dhina »

Hello, I have the same issue on a macOS host and a virtual Windows 10. But I get stuck on different outbounds depending on the trial:

1) freezing on "preparing automatic repair", or just shuting down after some time on "preparing automatic repair"
2 "preparing automatic repairs", then it goes to "diagnosing your PC" and can freeze there
3) "your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you". But they don't, or sometimes it goes to 1)
4) freezing without message on the Windows & loading icons

I was not able to solve the issue with robdaox's solution, because this option (Enable Nested VT-x/AMD-V) is not checked for me (not checkable, in grey).

Attached the log files which have been modified today.
Attachments
VBoxUI.log
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
VBox2.log
(152.66 KiB) Downloaded 26 times