"No Network Adapters" error when trying to setup VMWare 7 as a guest.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
JL75

"No Network Adapters" error when trying to setup VMWare 7 as a guest.

Post by JL75 »

I'm getting a "No Network Adapters" error, the exact wording "No network adapters were deleted. Either no network adapters are physically connected to the system, or a suitable driver could not be located. A third party drier may be required." when trying to install VMWare 7.0U3g on my VirtualBox 7.0.4 r154605 (Extension updated to same version).

I've posted a screenshot of the error message here - htt ps://i.ibb .co/2W7CFYH/vmware1-Copy.jpg

Note: As this is my first post, I'm not allowed to post working ur.l, so the ur.ls have spaces added to them. I'll get them fixed the next day.

While there are guides for installing VMWare 6 on VirtualBox, I've not found anything for VMWare 7.
htt ps://medium. com/@zedr/setting-up-the-vsphere-hypervisor-on-virtualbox-78d401bcd581
htt ps://4sysops. com/archives/install-esxi-in-a-virtualbox-vm/

There's an article that says E1000 (Intel 82545EM) or Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM) on Virtualbox is no longer supported for Esxi 6.5-6.7-7.0 and only E1000E (Intel 82574L) and VMXNET 3 are supported.

Is there a way I can add support for E1000E to my Virtualbox. Hope to receive some guidance. :D

htt ps://communities.vmware. com/t5/vSphere-vNetwork-Discussions/Is-E1000-network-adapter-no-longer-supported-for-ESXi-6-5/td-p/2854997#:~:text=The%20E1000%20was%20previously%20supported,Enterprise%20Server%2012%20SP3%20systems.

By the way, for those who are trying to run VMWare ESXI on VirtualBox, I've managed to get through 2 issues earlier.

Issue 1: After "Enable EFI" can't install.
Solution: Manually running bootx64.efi using command "fs0:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi".

Issue 2: "AP 1 is incompatible with BSP; cannot start" PSOD error
Solution: Run command "VBoxManage modifyvm "VMWare 8" --nested-hw-virt on".
Checking "Enable Nested VT-x/AMD-V" and adding "Virtual Machine Platform" to Windows feature.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: "No Network Adapters" error when trying to setup VMWare 7 as a guest.

Post by scottgus1 »

VMware 7 (which I guess is its own whole operating system?) inside Virtualbox is nested virtualization. This configuration isn't supported. (Only Virtualbox inside Virtualbox is supported, and maybe Qemu in the mix.)

However, it appears that the error:
JL75 wrote:No network adapters were detected. Either no network adapters are physically connected to the system, or a suitable driver could not be located. A third party driver may be required.
shows its own solution. VMware doesn't have drivers for the network card presented by Virtualbox. Try getting drivers for one of the 5 cards, (I got Intel drivers for the MT Desktop and used them in a VM) and get them into the VM on an ISO. If VMware's un-support of the three Intel network cards in Virtualbox means they don't want VMware running in Virtualbox, they may have other methods to deep-six this project. If it's merely 'dump the drivers', then maybe doing what the error message says would be sufficient.
JL75 wrote:Is there a way I can add support for E1000E to my Virtualbox.
There is no provision for adding new virtual network cards through normal user methods. Source code programmers can do their stuff and then rebuild Virtualbox, or maybe add devices as an Extension Pack.
JL75

Post by JL75 »

scottgus1 wrote:VMware 7 (which I guess is its own whole operating system?) inside Virtualbox is nested virtualization. This configuration isn't supported. (Only Virtualbox inside Virtualbox is supported, and maybe Qemu in the mix.)
Yes, it's the whole operating system. So far, I've not encountered that error, yet.
scottgus1 wrote:
There is no provision for adding new virtual network cards through normal user methods. Source code programmers can do their stuff and then rebuild Virtualbox, or maybe add devices as an Extension Pack.
Is there an extension pack that adds E1000E?

Another way is to add E1000 driver to the ESXI ISO, but it looks like a complicated task. Thanks! :D
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

JL75 wrote:Is there an extension pack that adds E1000E?
None that I know about.
Only by implementing it yourself or letting someone else do it. To give you some perspective: The existing E1000 (Intel PRO/1000 8254x) virtual network adapter has ~9000 lines of source code. IMHO, support for E1000E (Intel PRO/1000 8257x) would be in the same order of magnitude and take a few months of development effort.