Windows XP on boot up with VirtualBox 7.0.8

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Steve259

Windows XP on boot up with VirtualBox 7.0.8

Post by Steve259 »

Installed VirtualBox 7.0.8 and then installed the extensions into a Windows XP guest that had been booted in safe mode. All installations went perfectly, but attempting to restart the Windows XP guest machine, the screen showed the Windows XP logo, but then went dark and never came back. This worked perfectly under VirtualBox 7.0.6. If I remove the 7.0.8 extensions, I can get the Windows XP guest to come up successfully, but the screen has been reduced to a much smaller size. I'll continue to experiment with this.
morphx

Re: Windows XP on boot up with VirtualBox 7.0.8

Post by morphx »

I'm having the exact same issue.

I can boot into safe mode, uninstall the VBOX VGA driver, and then Windows XP will boot normally, but as soon as I re-activate the VBOX VGA driver, the screen goes black on the next reboot.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
morphx

Post by morphx »

To shut it down I can issue an ACPI Shutdown command. since the virtual machine works just fine (except that the screen is black), I can even access its shared folders.

UPDATE: I can also access it via Remote Desktop
Attachments
VBox.zip
(33.94 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Leo52

Post by Leo52 »

Steve259 wrote:Installed VirtualBox 7.0.8 and then installed the extensions into a Windows XP guest that had been booted in safe mode. All installations went perfectly, but attempting to restart the Windows XP guest machine, the screen showed the Windows XP logo, but then went dark and never came back. This worked perfectly under VirtualBox 7.0.6. If I remove the 7.0.8 extensions, I can get the Windows XP guest to come up successfully, but the screen has been reduced to a much smaller size. I'll continue to experiment with this.
I have exactly the same problem with VirtualBox 6.1.44 and Windows XP Professional! Using a back-up with 6.1.42 extensions solved this problem.
lIUSPCN

Post by lIUSPCN »

Steve259 wrote:Installed VirtualBox 7.0.8 and then installed the extensions into a Windows XP guest that had been booted in safe mode. All installations went perfectly, but attempting to restart the Windows XP guest machine, the screen showed the Windows XP logo, but then went dark and never came back. This worked perfectly under VirtualBox 7.0.6. If I remove the 7.0.8 extensions, I can get the Windows XP guest to come up successfully, but the screen has been reduced to a much smaller size. I'll continue to experiment with this.
I'm having the exact same issue. and back to 7.0.6 now.
cyh19910216

Post by cyh19910216 »

I'm having the exact same issue.
The only thing I can do is to boot into safe mode, and uninstall the VGA.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Using old GAs or uninstalling the GAs prevents 7.0's new graphics system from working. This probably means that it's bugs in the new graphics system.

Morphx, thanks for providing the log! Your XP VM does in fact look like it is booting up OK and Guest additions services start. However, the screen doesn't turn on:
00:00:08.180592 Display::i_handleDisplayResize: uScreenId=0 pvVRAM=000001f817240000 w=640 h=480 bpp=0 cbLine=0x140 flags=0x0 origin=0,0
The above was the last of these lines, and the "bpp=0" means no output (normally, bop is the color bit depth, like 24 or 32, when the screen is showing stuff).

Everyone, Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

If your host OS is Linux, please provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command in the Bugtracker ticket, too. (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).

Then you could downgrade Virtualbox, Extension Pack and Guest Additions to 6.1.something, or at least the Guest Additions.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

What happens if you toggle fullscreen mode twice (Hostkey+F)?
morphx

Post by morphx »

Thanks for the info @scottgus1

I just created the ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21600
Hope is ok - never done that before.
CornelisJ

Post by CornelisJ »

Leo52 wrote: I have exactly the same problem with VirtualBox 6.1.44 and Windows XP Professional! Using a back-up with 6.1.42 extensions solved this problem.
Same problem here. After updating to Virtualbox 6.1.44 on Windows 11 Host, my Windows XP guest booted up fine. But then, after updating the Guest Additions on the Windows XP guest from 6.1.42 to 6.1.44 and rebooting, the guest screen first shows the Windows XP boot screen and then goes black. Startup sound is working. Sending the shutdown signal powers down the guest. With GA 6.1.44 installed, I can only see the Windows XP desktop after starting up in safe mode.
quizerti

Post by quizerti »

CornelisJ wrote:
Leo52 wrote: I have exactly the same problem with VirtualBox 6.1.44 and Windows XP Professional! Using a back-up with 6.1.42 extensions solved this problem.
Same problem here. After updating to Virtualbox 6.1.44 on Windows 11 Host, my Windows XP guest booted up fine. But then, after updating the Guest Additions on the Windows XP guest from 6.1.42 to 6.1.44 and rebooting, the guest screen first shows the Windows XP boot screen and then goes black. Startup sound is working. Sending the shutdown signal powers down the guest. With GA 6.1.44 installed, I can only see the Windows XP desktop after starting up in safe mode.
Having read this thread, I just wanted to add that I am also having the same issues with XP after some basic testing.

Used my Windows XP Professional with SP3 and IE7 ISO image which I've used on both physical and virtual machines without issue until now. I admit that I rarely use XP, so it's been a while since I last installed it on a virtual machine, so I can't pinpoint which version it stopped working with. I might do some testing later.

Windows XP installs fine and works fine until the Guest Additions are installed. My guess is that the GA driver isn't compatible with XP. After installing the GA, XP reboots and shows the usual startup process up until the point where the desktop is usually displayed - the screen goes black, you can hear the startup sound and you can also shutdown Windows XP with the keyboard. You simply can't see anything after the loading screen.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

morphx wrote:I'm having the exact same issue.
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:08.180592 Display::i_handleDisplayResize: uScreenId=0 pvVRAM=000001f817240000 w=640 h=480 bpp=0 cbLine=0x140 flags=0x0 origin=0,0
[...]
00:00:08.760209 GUI: UIMachineLogicFullscreen: Additions-state actual-change event, rebuild multi-screen layout
00:00:08.760229 GUI: UIMachineViewFullscreen::adjustGuestScreenSize: Desired hint 1920x1200 for guest-screen #0 is already in IDisplay, adjustment is not required.
These log messages seem to indicate that two VirtualBox components have different knowledge about the current display resolution. I've seen the same behavior in other users' VBox.log files in the previous VirtualBox version 7.0.6, too. It might be interesting to find out what sequence of events leads to the issue ...
fth0 wrote:What happens if you toggle fullscreen mode twice (Hostkey+F)?
If this workaround didn't help, please provide a (zipped) VBox.log file of a VM run where you tried it.

As a general hint: I addressed my post to the only affected user providing a (zipped) VBox.log file so far. If one or two of you could also ... ;)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

It's reported by "FranceBB" on the "Discuss 7.0.8" topic that downgrading Guest Additions to 7.0.6 might be a workaround. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109135&p=534843#p534842
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Good news from the VirtualBox developers:

This issue should be fixed in the separately downloadable VirtualBox Guest Additions ISOs from the VirtualBox test builds page, with the following minimum revision numbers: 6.1.45r156947, 7.0.9r156960 and 7.0.97r156981.
Last edited by fth0 on 20. Apr 2023, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.