Cannot install Windows 11 on VirtualBox 7.0

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
wrkbear
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Cannot install Windows 11 on VirtualBox 7.0

Post by wrkbear »

In attempting to install Windows 11 on VirtualBox 7.0 on Ubuntu 22.04 , a "Load Driver" message pops up which reads as follows:
A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or hard Disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now.
Note: If the installation media for Windows is in the DVD drive or on a USB drive, you can safely remove it for this setup.
I have three other versions of Windows hosted on this system and never experienced this problem before when installing them.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Tronmch2

Re: Cannot install Windows 11 on VirtualBox 7.0

Post by Tronmch2 »

This may be a weird question, but what is the host system? And what disk/network interfaces are selected? My Lenovo Thinkpad P53 running VB 7.0.6 installed just fine... Using "SATA" virtual disks and "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop" NIC.

Biggest mistake I ever made was to install the VB guest additions, because the VB display is a "little" wonky after doing what needed to be done to avoid the "VM hangs withing 2 minutes" fix (Enabling 3d acceleration in display settings)...
wrkbear

Post by wrkbear »

The host system is a desktop computer with a Gigabyte B365M motherboard and intel I7 CPU. The host OS is Ubuntu 22.04 and VirtualBox version 7.0. It has two hard drives, one Samsung 500GB SSD and a Toshiba 1TB HD both with SATA interfaces.
I already have Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 as guests on this system.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

A spot of web-searching on the error message says this situation is rare and undiagnosed, but it is theorized that a corrupted installer DVD/ISO, an PC manufacturer's ISO that only works on the physical hardware it was published for by the manufacturer, or changing the VM's hardware settings from the New VM wizard's defaults might be the cause. Do any of these fit your circumstances?
wrkbear

Post by wrkbear »

The ISO image was downloaded directly from Microsoft.com. I comes without a license and without payment and I am assuming that upon installation it gives you the opportunity to purchase the license. (The instructions on Microsoft's website are more advertising than instructive.)

Lacking any guidance on the subject, I have set the VM's hardware settings for Windows 11 to match the settings for Windows 10.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

What size is the ISO file?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

wrkbear wrote:I have set the VM's hardware settings for Windows 11 to match the settings for Windows 10.
It probably would have been better to set the VM OS type for Windows 11. The 10 template is missing some things that 11 needs.

Start with a new 11 VM, don't change anything except to make the VM processor count 2, maximum video RAM, and reasonable regular RAM (4GB if possible).

Please Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. If the new VM does not let 11 install, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Then Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
wrkbear

Post by wrkbear »

Ooops! The iso file size, after copying from another computer, is only 2.5GB. The downloaded file size is 5.4GB. Obviously something went wrong when copying the iso file to the target computer.

I will start all over and let you know what happens, but it will have to wait until Saturday after our guests leave.

Thanks for the tip.