yet another missing internet connection

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
grandwiski

yet another missing internet connection

Post by grandwiski »

hello!

on my sysvinit-based mx-linux 21.3 i use virtualbox 6.1.42 with extensionpack and proper guest additions installed on my fresh-installed windows 10 1909 guest.

proper adapter detected but with no internet connection via my preferred vbox NAT-setting in the guest!

the thing is: with exactly the same vm settings and approach but fresh windows 10 20H1 or newer installed i have internet access on guest right after installing. but i want to use windows 10 1909 for some reasons.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: yet another missing internet connection

Post by scottgus1 »

1. Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)

2. Also zip and post the VM's .vbox file.

3. In both host and VM Windows OS's, ping 8.8.8.8. Post the command output. Label which is which.

4. In the Windows OS, open a Command Prompt and run ipconfig /all. Post the command output.

5. In the Linux OS, open a Terminal and run ifconfig or ip address. Post the command output.
grandwiski

Post by grandwiski »

i was hoping to avoid that because of the definitely correct observed circumstance of this problem being related only to build 1909 and probably earlier versions. in other words exactly that builds of windows 10 that gains official full support from virtualbox. see especially 3d acceleration only working on that older builds without glitches.

exactly the same procedure of installoing windows 10 on the newer builds - and - suddenly the internet problem is solved.
so it must be a prominent and well known bug behind that.
if you nevertheless need the infos you requested i will to that after your confirmation.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

You could try other virtual network adapter types in the VM configuration and/or check if the Windows Device Manager indicates any problems with the (virtual) network adapter.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

grandwiski wrote:i was hoping to avoid that
Hoping to avoid what? Giving us diagnostic information so we can help answer your question?
grandwiski wrote:if you nevertheless need the infos you requested i will to that after your confirmation.
Our confirmation of what? Are you suggesting we take our time to find, let alone download, two different versions of Windows and install them on our dime to test what happens? Open your wallet if you do.

We are not paid employees of Virtualbox (unless a poster has "Oracle Corporation" in their bio). We are fellow users of free Virtualbox like yourself. Free Virtualbox users are entitled to zero (0) support.

If you provide the requested data, we'll continue to try to help. (You'd have to provide the data anyway, if this turned out to be a Virtualbox bug. The devs won't bother looking at the problem without the data.)

BTW, the same data for the working VM would help us help you better.
grandwiski

Post by grandwiski »

fth0 wrote:You could try other virtual network adapter types in the VM configuration and/or check if the Windows Device Manager indicates any problems with the (virtual) network adapter.
no problem in device manager.
other network adapters like bridget gain correct internet access.
i write "correct internet access" because i figured out its just a partially problem.
windows guest network adapter shows "no internet" and its the single moment in my windows 10 experience that its being a wrong indication.
i pinged google and test the browser and internet just works fine. the main part is solved and it seems i have to live with that buggy detection in older windows 10 builds with the vbox nat setting.
grandwiski

Post by grandwiski »

Our confirmation of what? Are you suggesting we take our time to find, let alone download, two different versions of Windows and install them on our dime to test what happens? Open your wallet if you do.
I do not but i would love to pay for virtualbox. In future i plan to donate to the project because i love to support where something useful happens. There are so much money wasting in the world and virtualbox is a great piece of opensource. Just not my live crisis atm.
We are not paid employees of Virtualbox (unless a poster has "Oracle Corporation" in their bio). We are fellow users of free Virtualbox like yourself. Free Virtualbox users are entitled to zero (0) support.
I never implied the opposite.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

fth0 wrote:You could try other virtual network adapter types
grandwiski wrote:other network adapters like bridget
What I meant was selecting for example "Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)" in Network > Adapter 1 > Adapter Type, because different network adapter types get served by different network adapter drivers inside the Windows guest OS.
grandwiski

Post by grandwiski »

fth0 wrote:
fth0 wrote:You could try other virtual network adapter types
What I meant was selecting for example "Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)" in Network > Adapter 1 > Adapter Type, because different network adapter types get served by different network adapter drivers inside the Windows guest OS.
ah ok. but i already tried that before. every type has the same issue.
edit: probably because its not based on an driver issue in the guest like i wrote device manager doesn't show any missing or buggy entry.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

No diagnostic data, no help...
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Still awaiting diagnostic data from both working and failing VMs.
grandwiski

Post by grandwiski »

scottgus1 wrote:Still awaiting diagnostic data from both working and failing VMs.
like i wrote the connection is working to my surprise and it seems to only being an optical issue i can live with.
so thanks for your effort here!