Power options are missing in Windows 10 Guest OS

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
altro

Power options are missing in Windows 10 Guest OS

Post by altro »

Hi,

I'm using VirtualBox to prepare a generalized master image to deploy later at other PCs. Among other options, I need to tweak its power settings so it's never sleeping or turning off the screen. However, when I boot a guest OS, such options are not present at all, thus the resulting image has the default power settings and sleeps after 30 minutes of inactivity. How can I change that?

I've tried changing the options for the VM itself, but can't find ones responsible for that. Guest OS additions are installed and are of the latest version.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Power options are missing in Windows 10 Guest OS

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox has no controls to make a VM's OS sleep or turn off the screen. These settings are handled by the VM's OS. You'll have to look for settings inside the OS in your master VM.
altro

Post by altro »

I probably did not specified the problem clear enough: there are no controls for power in the guest OS when it's booted, as it seems to think this OS cannot sleep - it happens when, for instance, you install an OS on a regular PC and it does not pick up chipset drivers, so hibernation and sleep is disabled
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Ah, OK.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)

Also, Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Is the Windows 10 Guest activated? I would suspect not, if it is a "master image" being for prepared for deployment to other PCs; and a non-activated Windows 10 installation will limit the customisation options available.

My Windows 10 Guest is activated and the Power & sleep settings are working for both 'battery power' and 'plugged in' use. I have both currently set to 'Never', as I do with all other Guest VMs.