Unable to install software from shared folder

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
RobNicholson

Unable to install software from shared folder

Post by RobNicholson »

I'm building my first VirtualBox Windows 11 VM to maybe replace VMware Workstation. I've set-up shared folders to my E: drive and \\server\data which contains my software repository. When I try and install from either shared folder, the VM restarts. Any ideas?
RobNicholson

Re: Unable to install software from shared folder

Post by RobNicholson »

It's not the end of the world because I can use a drive mapping or shortcut to the network folder. That works fine.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Copy the installer software into a VM local drive and run it from there.
RobNicholson

Post by RobNicholson »

Yes that works fine but intrigued why it crashes/fails from shared folder. Shared folders work fine in VMware Workstation so not a fundamental problem with virtualisation.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Whether this is a Virtualbox problem depends on what kind of "shared folder" you're using. There are two kinds:

1. Shared by the host OS or something shared by another OS out on the network, and requiring a network in the VM to access.

2. Shared through Virtualbox Shared Folders, requiring Guest Additions, but not requiring any network to the VM, and only being able to access the host's folders, not out on the host's network.

If #1, this is a network or VM OS problem, not a Virtualbox problem. If #2, Virtualbox Shared Folders can really only be reliably used for file & folder copy. Other things, like running apps, might have problems. (The goal for Virtualbox Shared Folders was to be like a real shared folder, but life sometimes doesn't turn out as we hoped.)

Which type are you using?
RobNicholson

Post by RobNicholson »

#2 - #1 shared folders work fine. It's something to do with the VirtualBox shared folder implementation. I can copy the folder to a local drive and install from there - so file access is fine. I'm going to bet something around UAC.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

If the software installer has a long filename ending with .exe, rename it to Rob.exe and try if you can run the installation from the Shared Folder then. If the issue persists, shut down the VM and provide a (zipped) VBox.log file.