Unable to install any software on Windows 7 VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
GeneticOverkill

Unable to install any software on Windows 7 VM

Post by GeneticOverkill »

I'm new to this, so apologies if this is in the wrong place or already been answered. I have recently set up a VM running windows 7 ultimate edition. Everything for windows install was fine, my issue is that I don't seem to be able to install any software at all in the VM. I'm trying to download exe for various apps, each and every one fails during the set up with one error code or another.

Have I missed something important? Any idea what the common denominator could be? I had read that you should be able to download and install any exe within the VM just as you would the host machine, but that does not seem to be the case for me. I've tried ensuring the install files are configured to run in administrator mode, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm total a noob here
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Unable to install any software on Windows 7 VM

Post by scottgus1 »

GeneticOverkill wrote:every one fails during the set up with one error code or another.
What are the errors?
GeneticOverkill

unable to create directory folder for xx error code 5, and another just says unspecified
GeneticOverkill

I have now tried windows 7, 8.1 and 11 with my own product key (which eats my RAM) and I still get the attached or similar:
Attachments
error.png
error.png (33.05 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You have three different OS's, and you still can't install apps in any of them? Or is it only the Roblox app?

Start one of the VMs from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
GeneticOverkill

Hi Again,

I've attempted on three different OS's yes. I am mainly trying to install the Roblox apps but I have tried others and they wont install either. The only thing that would install is google chrome, which doesn't need admin privileges to install, I don't know if that's linked. But i have tried running the exe as administrator and the same things happens. Is the attached the thing you are looking for?

Thanks
Attachments
Windows 11 Alpha-2023-03-10-21-55-46.zip
(50.51 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
GeneticOverkill

so I actually can install some apps, VLC player went on, but Roblox still just wont install :(
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

If the Roblox installer tests for the minimum Graphics card it specifies on their site, then its unlikely to install/run successfully. You need to check with them whether or not the software can be installed on a VM (which cannot make full us of the Host system's graphics capability).