Network problems changing connection

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
PaoloHolzl

Network problems changing connection

Post by PaoloHolzl »

Virtualbox 7.0.

I have two virtual machines in Virtualbox in a Win10 guest, one of which is Win10 capable of joining a domain.
In this machine 'bridged card' Intel Advanced -N 6230 is set, because of the domain I can't use natting.
If the physical machine is connected via Wifi to the network, no problem.
If the machine connects instead to the physical network, no problem in the real machine but the virtual machines (both the Ubuntu and the Win that connects to the domain), behave as if cable is disconnected.
Howto resolve?
Bridge connection have two possibility:
Tap Windows Adapter V9 for OpenVPN.
Intel Centrino advanced N6230.

I have selected:
Intel Centrino advanced N6230.
intel pro /1000 MT Desktop (8254OM)
promiscuous mode: disabled
Cable connected checked

Other possibility are PCnet-PCIII (am79c970a)
PCNet-FAST III (Am79c973)
Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)
Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM)
Network (Virtio net)

Howto resolve?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Network problems changing connection

Post by scottgus1 »

PaoloHolzl wrote:If the physical machine is connected via Wifi to the network, no problem.
If the machine connects instead to the physical network, no problem in the real machine but the virtual machines (both the Ubuntu and the Win that connects to the domain), behave as if cable is disconnected.
If this is a work domain where your workplace is domineered by corporate IT overlords, they may have turned on network filters in the physical Ethernet that will only allow your physical PC to connect to that particular Ethernet port. Bridged makes it look like there's another PC attached to the port and such IT filters can block the VM.

Talk to your IT dept, see if they have such filtering and see if you can get the bosses to allow your VM.