Freeze on windows Guest boot screen

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
vboxstu

Freeze on windows Guest boot screen

Post by vboxstu »

hi All,

I have a windows guest that is freezing on boot this morning. It was fine yesterday and today I got wierd graphical lgitches and when I re-booted it hangs on the windows boot screen.

I can't see anything in the logs, but I've never had to try to read them for an error before. I have several other VMs all working fine.

windows 10 host and guests.

I have attached a log file, I'd b really grateful if someone could spot something.

I thought initially maybe I'd filled the disk up, but it s not that. All I can thing now is maybe to use something like gparted to see if it can fix boot manager or something.
Attachments
client-vm-1-2023-03-07-10-28-05.zip
(20.07 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Last edited by vboxstu on 14. Apr 2023, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
vboxstu

Re: Freeze on windows Guest boot screen

Post by vboxstu »

I tried attaching it to a different VM as a secondary drive but it does not show up.

Not sure if it should have or not :(

I have used tools in the past to fix boot manager, but I'm not sure if they are recommended any more?

Ta

Stewart
vboxstu

Post by vboxstu »

Same scenario has occurred again today, immediately after graphics driver updates.

Anyone got any ideas where to look please. I had to mount the drive with a live disk last time and copy off any stuff I needed.

Log attached.
Attachments
Main Client VM-2023-04-14-12-10-25.zip
(23.37 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I'd suggest to update VirtualBox, the VirtualBox Extension Pack and the VirtualBox Guest Additions from 6.1.30 to 6.1.42. I don't think that anybody will be interested in searching for issues in an old version with many known bugs.
vboxstu

Windows 10 guest on windows 10 host hangs on boot screen

Post by vboxstu »

hi All, I have a windows guest that is freezing on boot this morning. It was fine yesterday booted it, it hangs on the windows boot screen. I can't see anything in the logs, but I've never had to try to read them for an error before. I have several other VMs that all appear to be booting fine. they are also windows 10 guests.

I have attached a log.
Attachments
Main Client VM-2023-04-14-12-10-25.zip
(23.37 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 guest on windows 10 host hangs on boot screen

Post by scottgus1 »

That the other W10 VMs are booting fine indicates the host is still working well. The log also shows me the usual communication between a VM OS and the host: Guest Additions starting, messages passed, etc.

Curiously, the last thing seen is the 3D acceleration enumerations. You could try as a test turning off 3D acceleration, to see if the OS boots.

If it does, try uninstalling the Guest Additions and rebooting the VM a couple times, then turn 3D back on and reinstall GAs.

If the OS does not come back, you may need to run a repair inside the VM OS or restore from your backups.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I suspect your two topics are on the same subject, so I merged them.
vboxstu

Post by vboxstu »

Thanks all.

Yes there wee two posts this has happened before but I didn't see replies (7th March) for the original.

Not sure how you uninstall guest additions when the guest won't boot. Edit: safe mode!!

I am getting the latest 6.1 release now. I did try a v 7 some time back but none of the guest would boot so I just downgraded. Are there known guest vm migration problems to v 7?
vboxstu

Post by vboxstu »

Tried the above several times, every time i re-install the guest additions it hangs.

Boots in safe more or normal mode without guest additions.

Will try upgrading to v7 also.

any other pointers ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Please note my post above on what to do if the reinstall of the GAs doesn't work viewtopic.php?f=2&p=534628&sid=c09d3d3d ... 31#p534615

7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase and might show problems 6.1 isn't showing.
vboxstu

Post by vboxstu »

Thank you.

Have done, VBox, Ext Pack and Guest additions in the failing guest and another guest (also windows 10 and the failing guest was cloned from this one)
vboxstu

Post by vboxstu »

I exported the failing VM as an appliance, then imported it on my other laptop and it up and running with the guest additions.

Doesn't answer why for me, but at least it working.

Thx for all comments.