Windows Vista Aero Bug

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
babaprobaros

Windows Vista Aero Bug

Post by babaprobaros »

I have Wİndows Vista Installed in Virtualbox 7.0.6. I managed to get the aero theme by installing guest preferences. But when i enable it, Os gets VERY laggy and glitchy. Every tab or button leaves some kind of lines around them.
Does anybody now How to fix it? or should i just downgrade my Virtualbox Version. If i have to do that is there a way to transfer my os es to the older version or i should reinstall them completely?
Thank for help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows Vista Aero Bug

Post by scottgus1 »

Windows 7 and older are on limited support as guests in Virtualbox, starting around version 6.1.16. That means it's unlikely any bugs will get fixed in graphics areas that are required for eye candy like Aero.

Additionally, version 6.1 and later stopped supporting 3D acceleration for Vista and earlier. (3D acceleration is probably needed for decent Aero operation.)

7.0 is also in bug-hunt phase, and graphics were adjusted.

You could try downgrading Virtualbox, the Extension pack, and Guest Additions in the guest to something like the last 6.0 version.
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds

Uninstall the Guest Additions from the VM and shut it down.
Set the VM's video card type to VbxVGA (not VboxSVGA)
Start the VM again and let it recognize the new video card, then shut it down again.
Uninstall Virtualbox from the host.
The VM will remain behind ready to go.
Reboot the host.
Install the older Virtualbox by right-clicking the installer and choose Run-As-Administrator.
Install the Extension Pack.
Turn on 3D acceleration in the VM.
Start the VM and install the older Guest Additions.
Let us know what happens.
babaprobaros

Post by babaprobaros »

I can't even download the guest additions on this version please help :( :cry:
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Guest Additions are bundled with the Virtualbox download, they don't need to be separately downloaded.

Only the Extension Pack is a separate download.

Look at section 1 in the Virtualbox manual for more information.
babaprobaros

Post by babaprobaros »

I know, when i open the setup and start installing, whatever i do it just says installation aborted. i tried it in safe mode and all after downgrading to 6.0 and downloading the exteension pack.
i tried doing with vbox 6.0 but with 7.0 guest additions. it didn't work. i upgraded it back to vbox 7.0 and iwth the extension pack, still the same lines glitch. Tried with vbox 7.0 but with 6.0 additions, aero theme didn't show up.
Looks like i won't be getting any aero. :(
Thanks for the help! :)