Strange graphical artifacts (glitches) on Windows 7 VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
VistaNationZ
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Strange graphical artifacts (glitches) on Windows 7 VM

Post by VistaNationZ »

Hello,

Since yesterday, I've been experiencing strange graphical artifacts (glitches) in VirtualBox. The taskbar on Windows 7 gets distorted when transparency is enabled. There are no issues with Aero effects disabled. The host system is Windows 11 64-bit. There was no such problem before. I've tried reinstalling the host system and updating all drivers (both host and virtual), installing Windows 7 from two other ISOs, but nothing helps. Virtualization is enabled in UEFI.

Screenshot with problem is in attachments

I even tried downgrade VirtualBox to version 6.1, but the same problem - both on 6.1 and 7.0.4. VirtualBox extensions I have installed.

Virtual machine settings:
CPU: 8 threads
GPU: 256 MB, 3D Acceleration turned on

I need Aero effects turned on, becouse I want to record tutorial with Windows 7 theme - and I need virtual machine for it.

How to fix this problem?

Host specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
RAM: 64 GB DDR4 3000 MhZ
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 (Navi 23) (GIGABYTE)
Attachments
Screenshot with problem
Screenshot with problem
Artifacts.jpg (100.28 KiB) Viewed 2474 times
VistaNationZ
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Re: Strange graphical artifacts (glitches) on Windows 7 VM

Post by VistaNationZ »

Tried also on work PC with Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU - the same issue as on my PC. So I think it’s problem with VirtualBox itself.
piggyz

Post by piggyz »

I can confirm the problem starting from Virtualbox 7.0.0, any Guest Additions, under any host.

If memory serve me well, there is a locked thread related with this on another place on this same forum.

Disabling aero fix the problem, then it is a totally different user experience without aero then still better than completely disable 3D support.

I try out of curiosity other Windows guests and in my experience the problem is only present under Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit). Windows 8 (same), Windows 10 works perfectly fine, Windows 11 near perfect, some little artifacts sometimes in windows transparency, not always, not in always configuration.

I think Windows 7 is end of life so we can't ask for extensive support to Vbox developers, then those little, rare issues under Windows 11 should be investigated, IMHO.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase, and graphics had a code change.

Please upgrade to the latest 7.0 Virtualbox, Extension Pack if used, and Guest Additions.

If this does not get a stable VM, and you have 3D acceleration turned on, try running the VM with 3D acceleration turned off. If that stabilizes the VM, please note that this happened.

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

If your host OS is Linux, please provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command in the Bugtracker ticket, too. (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).

Then you could downgrade Virtualbox, Extension Pack and Guest Additions to 6.1.something, or at least the Guest Additions. 3D acceleration won't be possible if you only downgrade the GAs. For full 3D acceleration using the old stable code, downgrade all three.

Windows 7 is in fact not a fully supported guest OS, it seems to have dropped to limited guest support at 6.1.18. :shock: I did not know that! I've been behind the times heretofore...