Losing internet connection after Socks program or VPN

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
TheVMNoob

Losing internet connection after Socks program or VPN

Post by TheVMNoob »

He Guys,

Ive been stuck on this for a while now. I'm creating a VM both host and guest in Windows 10 Pro.

I'm installing al the programs I want without a problem on the guest. But as soon as I install a NordVPN or a socks5 proxy app called Socksify, my guests internet disconnects and Ive been troubleshooting like crazy but cant find the solution. This even happens when I install the proxy program on my host. As soon as I uninstall those apps, the internet connection returns on my host.

My network is NAT with a IntelPro/1000 MT Desktop adapter, cable connected.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Losing internet connection after Socks program or VPN

Post by mpack »

TheVMNoob wrote:But as soon as I install a NordVPN or a socks5 proxy app called Socksify, my guests internet disconnects
To disconnect would be normal in my experience. A new networking layer is being added over the existing network API - so any apps currently using the old API must be disconnected.

I would have thought reconnection is possible, though in Linux it's possible that the network interface name changes, e.g. eth0 to wg0 depending on the exact nature of the VPN. This may affect some apps - I'm not a Linux user so I can't say much of that.

Btw VirtualBox simply provides a virtual NIC, it doesn't implement its own TCP/IP stack.

Speaking of Linux. I don't seem much relevance for this question in "Windows Hosts". Moving it to "Linux Guests".
TheVMNoob

Post by TheVMNoob »

Thanks for your reply. Its my first post so I think I picked the wrong section. Ill copy it over to the right section.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

TheVMNoob wrote:I'm creating a VM both host and guest in Windows 10 Pro
Looks like this should be in Windows Guests, and I deleted your duplicate.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Hmm. Why did I think this was a Linux guest? Perhaps the mention of socksify, the top Google hit says that's a Linux script.