Host Win11 Guest Win10 Freezes randomly

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Mr_Lance
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Host Win11 Guest Win10 Freezes randomly

Post by Mr_Lance »

I'm facing an issue with the following configuration, where the guest VM (Win10) freezes randomly even during startup or shutdown.
I've noticed if I switch between Full screen mode and Scaled mode few times then the guest VM becomes responsive back, however after few mintes/seconds it freezes again !!!
I've checked other threads before posting and it seems if I switch 3D Accelerator then the VM is responsive, but there are graphical disply issues and some applications does not redraw correctly.
I've disabled the following Settings on the guest os (Win10) with no luck > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects. Also possibly found at: Ease of Access > Display > Simplify and personalize Windows > Show transparency in Windows
By the way during the freeze If I check the session information, it shows normal activities
Session Information
Session Information
Screenshot 2023-02-20 173712.png (28.1 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
Sample Log:
Win10-VBox.zip
VM Log file
(56.75 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Vbox: Version 7.0.6 r155176 (Qt5.15.2)
Host OS: Windows 11
Guest OS: Windows 10
3D: Enabled
Graphics Controller: VboxSVGA
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU
Intel(R) UHD Graphics
Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12650H

Guest Additions 7.0.6 + 3D Accelerator on - VM worked stable so far, but there were graphical display errors with many applications such as Oracle Jdev and MS Edge
Guest Additions 7.0.6 + 3D Accelerator off - VM freezes randomly
scottgus1
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Host Win11 Guest Win10 Freezes randomly

Post by scottgus1 »

Mr_Lance wrote:Guest Additions 7.0.6 + 3D Accelerator on - VM worked stable so far, but there were graphical display errors with many applications such as Oracle Jdev and MS Edge
This has been seen some times so far.

7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase, and graphics had a code change.

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

Then you could downgrade Virtualbox, Extension Pack and Guest Additions to 6.1.42, or at least the Guest Additions. 3D acceleration won't be possible if you only downgrade the GAs. For full 3D acceleration using the old stable code, downgrade all three.
Mr_Lance

Post by Mr_Lance »

scottgus1 wrote:
Mr_Lance wrote:Guest Additions 7.0.6 + 3D Accelerator on - VM worked stable so far, but there were graphical display errors with many applications such as Oracle Jdev and MS Edge
This has been seen some times so far.

7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase, and graphics had a code change.

Please create a ticket in the with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

Then you could downgrade Virtualbox, Extension Pack and Guest Additions to 6.1.42, or at least the Guest Additions. 3D acceleration won't be possible if you only downgrade the GAs. For full 3D acceleration using the old stable code, downgrade all three.

Hi,

I've downgraded to 6.1.42 (Vbox, EP, and GA) and I have the same issue of freezing.
here the log file

BR
Attachments
Win10-6.1.42.VBox-log.zip
(47.49 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Hyper-v is running. This will cause all of the symptoms described.
00:00:03.447382 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:03.480739 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:03.480752 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetHvPartitionId.
00:00:03.480754 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetPartitionProperty.
00:00:03.480809 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
If you want VirtualBox to run free, scrap its Hyper-v jail. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
Mr_Lance

Post by Mr_Lance »

mpack wrote:Hyper-v is running. This will cause all of the symptoms described.
00:00:03.447382 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:03.480739 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:03.480752 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetHvPartitionId.
00:00:03.480754 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetPartitionProperty.
00:00:03.480809 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
If you want VirtualBox to run free, scrap its Hyper-v jail. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
Hi,

I've followed the steps from the link provided and checked other links as well, and I was able to disable hypervisorlaunchtype, however I could not disable Hyper-V !!! I'm getting an error while running the command : DISM /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V
Error: 0x800f080c

Feature name Microsoft-Hyper-V is unknown.
A Windows feature name was not recognized.
Use the /Get-Features option to find the name of the feature in the image and try the command again.
From the User Interface I could not find Hyper-V listed under "Turn Windows features on or off"
turn win features.png
turn win features.png (32.99 KiB) Viewed 4307 times
I've shutdown the laoptop several times and disconnected the charger for a minute or two with no luck.
Windows still sees the Hyper-V still there

Also I made sure to disable the Core Isolation.

Any hints?

BR
hewking

Post by hewking »

why disconnecting the charger would make any difference?
please share your thoughts
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Looking into the linked tutorial will explain why unplugging the charger was attempted, and actually may not have succeeded.

Removing all power from a computer is one of the steps in disabling host Hyper-V. A computer with a charger also probably has its own battery. Removing the charger does not necessarily remove the battery, so power hasn't really been removed yet.

Hyper-V is becoming more intrinsic to Windows 11, and there are more steps needed to get rid of it. The number of attempted steps reported above is rather short of the number of steps actually required. The recommendation from the tutorial to tell us exactly what was done is either missing some reporting, or some steps weren't completed.