Windows 10 guest VM fails to start after Windows 10, version 22H2 update applied

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
thoikix
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win7, Win10

Windows 10 guest VM fails to start after Windows 10, version 22H2 update applied

Post by thoikix »

For background, my host system environment configuration is as follow:
Hardware: Lenovo ThinkPad E15 (3rd gen)
VirtualBox version: 7.0.6 r155176 (Qt5.9.5)

I am running a Windows 10 guest VM on an Ubuntu host. However for several weeks now, I have been encountering an issue when Windows Update applies the "Windows 10, version 22H2" update.

The Windows update applies successfully, but when the VM tries to reboot, it hangs and displays a black screen with some "interference", as if video initialisation is unable to succeed.

The only action that can be taken is to close the VM using Host(i.e. Ctrl)+Q and selecting the "power off machine" option.

Restarting the Windows 10 VM again results in exactly the same sequence of events, as does a second attempt at restarting.

On the third restart attempt, Windows 10 launches into its own recovery process, which usually succeeds in rolling back the latest updates which have caused the problem. However, on one occassion the Windows 10 recovery did not succeed and the only way I was able to make the Windows 10 VM usable again was to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.

I have recently upgraded to VirtualBox 7.0.6 on my Ubuntu host, but this Windows 10 problem has also existed when I was running VirtualBox 6 on my host system.

I also have a Windows 7 guest VM which I have been running long term without any issues, as I preferred Windows 7 over Windows 10. However, as some applications are no longer being supported on Windows 7, I find myself being reluctantly forced to migrate to Windows 10 instead (I really don't want to "upgrade" to Windows 11!).

However, this repeated failure to successfully apply the "Windows 10, version 22H2" update, along with the associated risk of not being able to roll back the failed updates, makes my Windows 10 VM unreliable for daily use. Added to that, there is no way to permanently stop Windows Updates from running (which wouldn't really be a solution anyway).

I have attached a zipped copy of the VirtualBox log file for the Windows 10 guest VM, the log file being saved whilst the VM was displaying the black screen with "interference".
Attachments
Win10-2023-02-04-01-30-37 - boot failure after Windows update.log.zip
Win10 boot failure after Windows update
(18.14 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 guest VM fails to start after Windows 10, version 22H2 update applied

Post by mpack »

The attached log is (a) incomplete, and (b) apparantly shows the VM starting normally, e.g. it loads the Guest Additions.

You need to ensure that the VM is fully closed down before grabbing the log.

I also notice that this VM has a strange arrangement of files. E.g. two snapshots but no base VDI. A linked clone?
thoikix

Re: Windows 10 guest VM fails to start after Windows 10, version 22H2 update applied

Post by thoikix »

Thanks for the reply mpack, I only realised that the log was likely to be incomplete after I had raised the topic.

I'll repeat the Windows update exercise and save the full log after I force-close the VM. I'll post that new log as soon as I can.
thoikix

Post by thoikix »

I've repeated the Windows update followed by the failed reboot, but this time I closed the Win10 VM using Host(i.e. Ctrl)+Q , and then I saved the VM log file.

The new log file is 2023-02-04-20-41-15 win10 boot failure 1.log.zip.

I have also attached a screenshot of the Win10 VM as it tries to load after the Windows update has been applied, the file name is 2023-02-04 ~ 20_40_00 Win10 reboot screen.png

mpack,

Regarding your comment about the VM arrangement, I originally created the Win10 VM (quite some time ago) and installed Windows 10 from an ISO disk file. I then took a snapshot of the VM in case I ever needed to go back to the basic installation. The VM is configured with 2 virtual disks, the default C: drive and another drive identified as K:. I can supply a couple of screenshots which would probably clarify the configuration, but I don't think the VM-hang is related to that, as the Win10 VM has been running without issues for many months, and screenshots would probably just confuse things a little. So unless you feel you really need this extra information, I'll put that to oneside for now.
Attachments
Win10 VM screen while trying to boot
Win10 VM screen while trying to boot
2023-02-04 ~ 20_40_00 reduced.png (19.64 KiB) Viewed 2386 times
2023-02-04-20-41-15 win10 boot failure 1.log.zip
Win10 log file after boot failure
(36.1 KiB) Downloaded 11 times