windows 10e hangs on VirtualBox 7.0.6

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
w.koster

windows 10e hangs on VirtualBox 7.0.6

Post by w.koster »

Upgraded from VB 6.1 to 7.0.6 (install from deb) on Ubuntu 22.04

Windows 10 Enterprise 22h2 guest used to run flawlessly but after I start chrome the guest hangs after a short while (like 30 seconds or so). Again and again..
No problem with ubuntu-guest and windows7-guest

Downgraded to VB 6.1.42 and everything is smooth as butter again....
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: windows 10e hangs on VirtualBox 7.0.6

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
w.koster

Post by w.koster »

Thank you for the reply. Alas I need the machine for work so don't have much opportunity to upgrade, troubleshoot, downgrade.
But I might try again after a new update comes out. For now I'm sticking with v6
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The 7.0 graphics have been developed further, and are still in bug-hunt phase.

When you want to try 7.0 again and have problems with 7.0 graphics or seize-ups when 3D is on:

Please upgrade to latest Virtualbox, Extension Pack if used, and Guest Additions.

If this does not get a stable VM, and you have 3D acceleration turned on, try running the VM with 3D acceleration turned off. If that stabilizes the VM, please note that this happened.

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

If your host OS is Linux, please provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command in the Bugtracker ticket, too. (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).