Bug - VirtualBox and USB switch issue. USB disabled on other PC until hard reset.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
del64

Bug - VirtualBox and USB switch issue. USB disabled on other PC until hard reset.

Post by del64 »

I use a basic USB switch/kvm (amazon dot com/gp/product/B07TS5JNT3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to connect my mouse and keyboard to both my work and personal PCs. However, when I run VirtualBox on my personal PC and switch the USB to my work PC, then switch it back to my personal PC, all USBs become disabled and my keyboard and mouse are unresponsive, even if I change slots. The only way to fix this issue is to physically turn off my personal PC. This issue only occurs when VirtualBox is running and doesn't happen when the app is closed I close the app completely. The only way i can control my PC while its running and I used the switch is by using VNC server

I am running a built gaming rig with an Asus ROG MB. Win 11 64 bit. Virtual box 7.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Bug - VirtualBox and USB switch issue. USB disabled on other PC until hard reset.

Post by scottgus1 »

Are you using any USB filters in the VM's USB settings?
del64

Re: Bug - VirtualBox and USB switch issue. USB disabled on other PC until hard reset.

Post by del64 »

I have Enable USB Controller enabled and usb 2.0 controller on my VMS. however this error occurs when the virtual box client running only, no vms running however do have a few instances that are saved. Could that be the issue?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, thanks. The USB Filters are below the USB Controller setting, but having the problem even when only the main Virtualbox window is open means USB Filters might not be part of the issue.

You could try a workaround of reinstalling Virtualbox without the USB option, if yu don't pass USB devices into the VMs.

We've had a couple topics about USB KVMs having trouble. You could try web-searching with the "site:forums.virtualbox.org" restrictor added.
del64

Post by del64 »

Unfortunately I will need my mouse and keyboard passed :(. Its just odd since this never happened say about 6 or so months ago.