Host Win11-VM with Win11 works under VB 6.1.x under VB 7.0.x VM freezes after a few minutes

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
MaxF

Host Win11-VM with Win11 works under VB 6.1.x under VB 7.0.x VM freezes after a few minutes

Post by MaxF »

I have the same problem, only I'm on Linux host. Win11 guest freezes often with or without 3d acceleration. The only way I can make the guest work without freezes is switching from VBoxSVGA to VBoxVGA video adapter. The problem was and is in 7.0.2, 7.0.4, 7.0.6. I didn't find anything interesting in the log after freeze, there's just a message that guest is unresponsive. Attaching log just in case.
Attachments
Windows11-2023-01-25-11-37-06.log.gz
Win11 guest log
(48.3 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Host Win11-VM with Win11 works under VB 6.1.x under VB 7.0.x VM freezes after a few minutes

Post by scottgus1 »

MaxF wrote:The only way I can make the guest work without freezes is switching from VBoxSVGA to VBoxVGA video adapter.
This will only make the VM stop using 3D acceleration, aside from changing the video card 'hardware'.

Your log shows the VM still using VboxSVGA but no 3D acceleration.

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

Since your host OS is Linux, please provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command in the Bugtracker ticket, too. (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).
MaxF

Re: Host Win11-VM with Win11 works under VB 6.1.x under VB 7.0.x VM freezes after a few minutes

Post by MaxF »

Log contains SVGA because it's the log from frozen guest and as I said using SVGA causes freezes. If I switch to VGA, no freezes. I tried disabling 3d acceleration but still use SVGA and guest still freezes. So there are some more differences between VGA and SVGA beside 3d acceleration.
Bug id is https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21431
Last edited by scottgus1 on 25. Jan 2023, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the ticket!