Can't get Win 10 migrated from parallels to boot

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
fuchs
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: winXP

Can't get Win 10 migrated from parallels to boot

Post by fuchs »

I have a Windows 10 VM that runs fine under Parallels on my Mac. I am preparing to replace this Intel machine with an M1 Mac and I would like to migrate this VM to run under Virtualbox on a PC. I have tried extracting the .hds file from the .pvm package and renaming it to have a .hdd suffix and adding it to a new VirtualBox VM but when started it gives "Your device ran into a problem" and a stop code of "Unexpected kernel Mode trap". I tried using the prl_disk_tool and converting the HDD file with the --plain parameter but that gives the same result. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run my Windows 10 VM from Parallels under Virtualbox and if so, how to do it?
fuchs
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: winXP

Re: Can't get Win 10 migrated from parallels to boot

Post by fuchs »

I should add that I tried enabling EFI and that got to a Shell prompt but that did not seem to boot Windows.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Can't get Win 10 migrated from parallels to boot

Post by multiOS »

1. Did you also uninstall Parallels Tools before attempting the migration?

2. There is another migration method described on various websites/blogs which describe using VMWare's VCenter Converter, a freeware standalone utility, to convert the Parallels virtual Hard Drive to the .vmdk format which VirtualBox can use, but they also advise to uninstall Parallels Tools before running the conversion.

3. It's over 10 years since I used Parallels but I never had much success when attempting the migration of Windows VMs using the HDD process; especially as migration results in significant 'hardware' changes being recognised, which normally results in reactivation being required. I found it much more straightforward (and quicker) to create a new VirtualBox VM, reinstall software and migrate any required user data; and then reactivate using the changed hardware option.