Boot dumps me in UEFI Shell

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Bazsl1

Boot dumps me in UEFI Shell

Post by Bazsl1 »

Running VB 7.0.6 on Win 11 Pro host. I have a Win 10 Pro guest that I want to upgrade to Win 11. I have TPM 2.0 enabled for the Win 10 guest. If I enable secure boot for the Win 10 guest I am dumped into the UEFI Shell when I power on the Win 10 guest. If type exit in the UEFI Shell and choose to boot from the hard drive I am dumped back into the UEFI Shell. The result is that I cannot boot the Win 10 guest with secure boot on and I cannot upgrade to Win 11 with secure boot off. What must I do so I can upgrade the guest to Win 11? I have attached the VB log. Thanks.
Attachments
Win 10-2023-01-22-08-58-13.zip
(35.27 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Boot dumps me in UEFI Shell

Post by mpack »

I suggest changing the guest template to Windows 11 before the upgrade.
Bazsl1

Post by Bazsl1 »

Converted the virtual disk from MBR to GPT and changed the template to Win 11. The Win 10 guest now boots but still says it is not compatible with Win 11. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Have you run any of the Windows 11 compatibility checker apps on the Windows 10 VM to see if any problems are highlighted? I'd suggest "WhyNotWin11". Link: https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11 - There's also a portable version available from PortableApps. com if you prefer to avoid the need to install.
Bazsl1

Post by Bazsl1 »

Ran WhyNotWin11. Everything is green except DirectX + WDDM2 which says DxDiag Errored. When I run DxDiag.exe I get "No errors found" on every page. I am using VBoxSVGA for graphics. What next?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

I thought that might be the issue, but did't want to guess; and it's also the one blocker that's never directly mentioned in the common 'bypass' guides.

Possibilities I can think of:

1. When running the upgrade from the setup.exe file on the Windows 11 ISO, do you get as far as the step which advises that updates will be downloaded during the installation? If so then make sure you disable the update option - You may have to go back a page to find the option to change the way updates are applied. See if that then allows the upgrade to proceed.

2. If that doesn't work then the second option I've used (before VirtualBox provided TPM and SecureBoot emulation) was to create a modified copy of the Windows 11 ISO by replacing the appraiserres.dll file which is used to perform the compatibility checks with a zero content text file and rebuilding the ISO. It's not a difficult process, but if you need a 'step-by-step' just say.

3. (Not tried) Create a modified USB installer from your Windows ISO using Rufus (https://github.com/pbatard/rufus) to incorporate all bypass checks. You obviously can't boot your Windows 10 VM from a USB, but you may be able to run the upgrade by mounting the USB in Windows 10 and running the setup.exe file.