Host Win11-VM with Win11 works under VB 6.1.x under VB 7.0.x VM freezes after a few minutes

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
RonaldMacDonald

Re: Host Win11-VM with Win11 works under VB 6.1.x under VB 7.0.x VM freezes after a few minutes

Post by RonaldMacDonald »

Result of the tests:
During configuration (Host Windwos 11 with Virtualbox 7.0.6 - VM Windows 11):
Guest Additions 7.0.6 + 3D Accelerator on - VM worked stable, but there were graphical display errors (e.g. Excel 2019 (all other Office products worked), in other applications the display in menus was wrong)

Guest Additions 7.0.6 + 3D Accelerator off - VM hung after a few minutes

Guest Additions 6.1.42 + 3D Accelerator off - VM runs stable and no graphic errors (Excel 2019 is also displayed again)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Host Win11-VM with Win11 works under VB 6.1.x under VB 7.0.x VM freezes after a few minutes

Post by scottgus1 »

RonaldMacDonald wrote:Guest Additions 7.0.6 + 3D Accelerator on - VM worked stable, ...

Guest Additions 7.0.6 + 3D Accelerator off - VM hung after a few minutes
OK, so it appears that 3D on makes 7.0.6 Virtualbox and GAs work.
RonaldMacDonald wrote:Guest Additions 7.0.6 + 3D Accelerator on - ... there were graphical display errors (e.g. Excel 2019 (all other Office products worked), in other applications the display in menus was wrong)
This will probably be the Transparency glitch Virtualbox has had since 10 and 3D: disable Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects. Also possibly found at: Ease of Access > Display > Simplify and personalize Windows > Show transparency in Windows
RonaldMacDonald wrote:Guest Additions 6.1.42 + 3D Accelerator off - VM runs stable and no graphic errors
This will be because 7.0's "new and still needing bug removal" graphics changes aren't installed for use.
RyanVDW
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Windows 11, Unbuntu 22.04

Post by RyanVDW »

I believe I have the same issue - enabling 3D acceleration does seem to stop the VM from crashing but I am experiencing very odd display issues, even with Transparency effects disabled.

For example, menu backgrounds appear transparent with text and flickering pictures floating on top of whatever is beneath them. If I open Notepad, the text area of the screen is solid black. On/off settings sliders display inconsistently. Buttons do not always show the text on them.

Host OS: Windows 11 Enterprise 22H2 (22621.1105) with Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0
Host CPU: Core i7-11850H
Host RAM: 32GB
Host Graphics: Intel UHD with secondary Nvidia T1200 GPU
Virtual Box version 7.0.6 with expansion pack 7.0.6r1 installed
Guest OS: Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (22621.1265) with Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0
Guest CPU Cores: 2
Guest RAM: 4GB
Guest Additions: 7.0.6 installed
Guest Graphics: VBoxSVGA
3D acceleration enabled
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

If your host OS is Linux, please provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command in the Bugtracker ticket, too. (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).
jwk

Post by jwk »

I had the same issue. I'm running Mac OS 13.3.1 and installed Windows 11 on a VM running virtualbox 7.0.8. A few minutes after booting Windows, Windows froze up and all I could do was reboot. After quite a while, I saw that someone else who reported this problem said that Windows 11 was stable if you do not install the virtualbox Guest Additions on Windows. Elsewhere on the VB website I saw a suggestion to install an older version of the Guest Additions, so that's what I did. Now Windows 11 is stable, with the older Guest Additions installed.

My steps:
  • boot the unstable Windows;
  • quickly run controlPanel and go to Programs -> Programs and Features, right click on "Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions" and click "uninstall";
  • On the Mac, go to the VirtualBox website's download page and find the link to older versions; download VirtualBox 6.1.44 - but don't install it;
  • Extract VBoxGuestAdditions.iso from the downloaded VirtualBox-6.1.44-156814-OSX.dmg
  • Virtualbox has a border offering a set of actions at the top of the window containing your VM, and one of those is Devices. Under Devices, Optical Disks, click "Choose a Disk File", and in the file dialog navigate to wherever you extracted the older VBoxGuestAdditions and select it (NOTE: if the newer VBoxGuestAdditions is still in your "CD drive", you may have to eject that first);
  • In Windows just install this older VBoxGuestAdditions as usual.
This fixed the problem for me.