No mouse or keyboard in W7-image VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Gel

No mouse or keyboard in W7-image VM

Post by Gel »

Hi. Noobi here.

I have the latest VBox version 7 installed, with 2 VMs -- one is Windows 10 Pro, the other is a .vdi image of my main Windows 7 Pro OS (which is also the physical host while waiting for its Win10 upgrade).

The (temporary, non-activated) Win10 Pro VM works well. It was loaded using a MS downloaded .iso file. It's been good for testing.

The Win7 Pro VM also seemed to load ok. I can view the copy of my physical Win7 desktop at least.

However, I can't interact with it: the mouse or keyboard will not work within the Win7 VM.

They do appear to be Captured but when I go to use them within the VM, the mouse pointer just glances off the edge of the Win7 Guest display and rests in the Host upper left corner.
And the keyboard only works the "Start" button and a few basic functions (such as cursor direction).
"Enter" key only works randomly within the Guest.

Guest Additions have been added, and both the keyboard and mouse icons appear "lit" at the bottom of the machine task bar when toggled with the Host key (right control).
And in VBox system settings, the pointing device has been set to "USB Tablet".

I've also tried rebooting the Win7 VM into Safe Mode after thinking that there might be some sort of Win7 VM internal conflict.
So, in that mode I have also managed to Disable most all Services -- one of the very few things hot-keys will work.
But none of that has corrected the access situation.

So far, many hours have been spent on this problem so I'm now at wits end and have come here for some advice.

Appreciate your help :wink: