Insert Guest Additions CD Image /Drag and Drop b/w HostnGuest /Does not work

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Themevictory

Insert Guest Additions CD Image /Drag and Drop b/w HostnGuest /Does not work

Post by Themevictory »

Logs(Windows ME).rar
(122.42 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Logs(Windows ME).rar
(122.42 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Hello everybody,
Happy New Year first of all.
I hope that this new year is far more easier than the previous one, so I hope so with this request.

Dear reader,
I have installed a fresh installation of Windows 11 Home Edition (ENglish version) on my MSI GE66 Raider 10SFS laptop.
Then I have installed all drivers and update on it, then on it I have installed:
VirtualBox
Graphical User Interface
Version 7.0.4 r154605 (Qt5.15.2)
Copyright © 2022 Oracle and/or its affiliates.

On it I have installed Windows 11 Guest 1 and Windows Millennium as 2nd guest (Both English versions).
On Windows 11 guest I was failed to get drag n drop work both ways (Bidirectional) in the beginning.
I have reading disabilities and therefore cant read much stuff so please when you answer keep that in mind.
Then a friend of mine who had earlier used Virtualbox and earlier version redommended to connect Virtualbox program with Nvidia Graphic card.
Once done, copying from host to guest has begun to work, while from guest to host nothing.
Please notice that I already installed "Insert Guest Additions CD Image" on guest os.

When it comes to WIndows Millennium, Insert Guest Additions CD Image wont install and give me these error messages:

"vboxwindowsadditions-x86 has caused an error in vboxwindowsadditions-x86.exe. vboxwindowsadditions-x86 will now close."
&
"the vboxwindowsadditions.exe file is linked to missing export ntdll.dll:ntterminateprocess."

and drag and drop does not work either.

My friend,
Like I already told I have reading disabilities and writting this little text with help of correction program, so please advice in details if you please can do so, I'll be very gratefull.????

Thanks,
I accompanied these 2 logs from guest OS so please ask me if there is sometgung I have forgotten???

Thanks again :D
Attachments
Logs(Windows 11).rar
(203.44 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Insert Guest Additions CD Image /Drag and Drop b/w HostnGuest /Does not work

Post by scottgus1 »

There are no Guest Additions for ME or any of its 9x cousins. Please see Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes for possible workarounds.
Themevictory

Re: Insert Guest Additions CD Image /Drag and Drop b/w HostnGuest /Does not work

Post by Themevictory »

Thank you for your replay Scottgus1.
I have logged in right now and see your answer.
Its very much to read so I am gonna invest tonight to read it completely.

I see you are very knowledgable about Virtualbox.

So.
Could you please guide me about Windows 11 Problem too.

Thank you very much,Sir!!!

Best regards,
Themevictory
Last edited by Themevictory on 19. Jan 2023, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You have provided no log for a Win11 guest, and in any case we prefer one problem per topic.

I will quickly mention that the most common cause of such problems is failing to install the Guest Additions.
Themevictory

Post by Themevictory »

Logs(Windows 11).rar
Windows 11 Guest logs file
(203.44 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Logs(Windows 11).rar
Windows 11 Guest logs file
(203.44 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Greetings,
I think that I provided the log for Windows 11 guest too, but anyways here is it one more time.
If you can help me with this too, well and good, if not I am grateful either ways.
Thank you!
Best regards,
Themevictory :D
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Themevictory wrote:I think that I provided the log for Windows 11 guest too
Yes, you did, the ME logs were at the top of your first post, and the 11 logs were at the bottom. We missed the 11 logs.

The 11 log shows Virtualbox 7.0.4 Guest Additions installed.

Drag-n-drop has been somewhat unstable, so some forum gurus rely on Virtualbox Shared Folders instead. However, you might get better results by upgrading to 7.0.6 Virtualbox and Guest Additions. 7.0 is new and bugs are being found.
Themevictory

Post by Themevictory »

Dear Sir scottgus1,

Thank you for your answer and kindness!!!

Can you please also tell me how I update Virtualbox 7.0.4 to Virtualbox 7.0.6, please???

I have tried clicking inside guest OS (WIndows 11) > Devices > Upgrade Guest Additions and then trying to install CD Drive (D:) Virtualbox Guest Additions (0 bytes free of 50.5MB). But each time when I do it shows "Welcome to Oracle VM Virtualbox Guest Additions 7.0.4 Setup???

In Virtualbox preferences >Update > Check for updates > Once a day > Stable release versions

Please tell me how to update host OS and Guest OS to Virtualbox Version from 7.0.4 to 7.0.6 please???

Thanks for your kindness!
Best regards,
Themevictory
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Just download the new installer (click the "Get VirtualBox" link at the bottom of this page) and run it.
Themevictory

Post by Themevictory »

Hello again scottgus1,

mpack told me how to install Host OS Virtualbox latest version.
Thanks for that.

But can you please tell me how to update Guest OS Virtualbox to latest version???

Each time I have tried clicking inside guest OS (WIndows 11) > Devices > Upgrade Guest Additions and then trying to install CD Drive (D:) Virtualbox Guest Additions (0 bytes free of 50.5MB). But each time when I do it shows "Welcome to Oracle VM Virtualbox Guest Additions 7.0.4 Setup???

Please tell me how to update Guest OS virtualbox Upgrade Guest Additions and then trying to install CD Drive (D:) Virtualbox Guest Additions (0 bytes free of 50.5MB) please???

Thanks,
Best regards,
Themevictory
Themevictory

Post by Themevictory »

Dear Sir Scottgus1,

Can you please answer me on Guest OS update issue before I update Virtualbox (Host OS version from v.7.0.4 to v.7.0.6), please???

I am not very knowledgeable so I need an expert advice before doing anything stupid, so please advice me???

Thanks,
Best regards,
Themevictory
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Instructions on installing GAs can be found in chapter 4 of the user manual.
Themevictory

Post by Themevictory »

Hey scottgus1. What's your take on it???
Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Themevictory wrote:mpack told me how to install Host OS Virtualbox latest version.
Themevictory wrote:Each time I have tried clicking inside guest OS (WIndows 11) > Devices > Upgrade Guest Additions and then trying to install CD Drive (D:) Virtualbox Guest Additions (0 bytes free of 50.5MB). But each time when I do it shows "Welcome to Oracle VM Virtualbox Guest Additions 7.0.4 Setup???
The upgrade to 7.0.6 should also have provided the 7.0.6 Guest Additions CD image. It could be something is wrong, or you haven't got 7.0.6 installed, yet, or it's something about the already-installed Guest Additions.

Please, first check in the main Virtualbox window that the main Virtualbox window's Help menu About Virtualbox command shows that you're running 7.0.6.

Then instead of using the "Upgrade Guest Additions" command, try uninstalling the Guest Additions in the VM's OS manually. Reboot the VM, then use the "Insert Guest Additions CD Image" command, and run the installer from the VM OS's CD drive. Hopefully you'll see the 7.0.6 installer.
Themevictory

Post by Themevictory »

scottgus1,
Thanks for explaining everything very beautifully to me.
Now I understand everything, thanks to kind you.

Sir,
I have a humble request in the end.
Most ppl use VM Virtualbox because they wish to play old games and some old softwares maybe.
Can you please make Win9x available in the later versions of Virtualbox so that everybody may enjoy those old games.
Cause not every great game has been rebuild to run on WinNT based Operating Systems???

This is a humble request to reconsider please???

Thanks,
Themevictory
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Themevictory wrote:Most ppl use VM Virtualbox because they wish to play old games
[Citation Needed]

Gamers who come to Virtualbox are told that a VM isn't the best platform for good gaming, because that's not Virtualbox's forte.

The driving force behind Virtualbox development is money, namely the paying Oracle customers. They probably are not much into gaming on ME. :lol: So it will be up to the gamers who want to use ME in Virtualbox to provide those Guest Additions.

The Guest Additions interface is apparently available in the source code, and other programmers have made Guest Additions for unsupported OS's.

We on the forum aren't the developers.