Direct3D Acceleration "Not Available" on Windows 7 Professional Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
WetCrowsFeather

Direct3D Acceleration "Not Available" on Windows 7 Professional Guest

Post by WetCrowsFeather »

I am running Arch Linux on my host PC with a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Guest. When I run dxdiag, Direct3D Acceleration is "Not Available". This is causing me a lot of problems, as software relying on DirectX will glitch out and be unusable in full-screen mode. Searching these forums and Reddit, I have found that many others users have had this problem, but despite implementing the same suggestions that solved their issue mine still remains.

I have:
Enabled 3D acceleration in my VM settings, set Video Memory to 256MB and disabled Hyper-V
Installed the guest additions ISO
Installed the Platform Update for Windows 7 directly from Microsoft's website
Confirmed that the device manager DOES list "Virtualbox Graphics Adapter (WDDM)"

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Direct3D Acceleration "Not Available" on Windows 7 Professional Guest

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
WetCrowsFeather

mpack wrote:Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Thanks for your reply. I booted my VM and replicated an error by trying to go fullscreen, here's the log file.
Attachments
Windows 7 VM-2023-01-06-12-14-57.zip
(32.93 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Windows 7 VM-2023-01-06-12-14-57.log wrote:
00:00:03.180657 rtldrNativeLoad: dlopen('D3DCompiler_47.so', RTLD_NOW | RTLD_LOCAL) failed: D3DCompiler_47.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
00:00:03.180733 VMSVGA: Single DX device mode: enabled
00:00:03.954882 DxvkInstance::enumAdapters: Failed to enumerate adaptersD3D11CreateDevice: Failed to create a DXGI factoryVMSVGA3d: 3D support disabled! (vmsvga3dPowerOn -> VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)
I've seen those log messages a few times in the last weeks, but don't have any idea yet what to do about it. One of the VirtualBox devs told me (a few days before Christmas), that they would need more background info about the graphics hard- and software on the host, and would have to instrument the VirtualBox code to provide such information.

Since this is an issue of VirtualBox 7.0.4, you could try VirtualBox 6.1.40 instead.
WetCrowsFeather

fth0 wrote:
Windows 7 VM-2023-01-06-12-14-57.log wrote:
00:00:03.180657 rtldrNativeLoad: dlopen('D3DCompiler_47.so', RTLD_NOW | RTLD_LOCAL) failed: D3DCompiler_47.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
00:00:03.180733 VMSVGA: Single DX device mode: enabled
00:00:03.954882 DxvkInstance::enumAdapters: Failed to enumerate adaptersD3D11CreateDevice: Failed to create a DXGI factoryVMSVGA3d: 3D support disabled! (vmsvga3dPowerOn -> VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)
I've seen those log messages a few times in the last weeks, but don't have any idea yet what to do about it. One of the VirtualBox devs told me (a few days before Christmas), that they would need more background info about the graphics hard- and software on the host, and would have to instrument the VirtualBox code to provide such information.

Since this is an issue of VirtualBox 7.0.4, you could try VirtualBox 6.1.40 instead.
Well now I've discovered a new issue; I'm unable to even boot into older versions of VirtualBox. I installed VirtualBox 6.1.40 and the corresponding host modules from the Arch Linux archive, but now it doesn't start. This looks like a problem with the host modules, as when I run sudo vboxreload I get several "FATAL: Module not found in directory" errors. This problem seems to only happen with VirtualBox version 6.1.XXX, as when I reinstalled the latest version through pacman it worked fine (without Direct3D).
Attachments
2023-01-06_22-18.png
2023-01-06_22-18.png (42.29 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Sorry, I cannot really help you with the Arch-specific VirtualBox installation.

Regarding your initial problem with VirtualBox 7.0.4 and 3D acceleration, I discovered a way to get more information:

Please provide a zip file with the output of the command vulkaninfo. (In Debian/Ubuntu/Mint, it's in a package named vulkan-tools.)
WetCrowsFeather

In the end i managed to successfully downgrade to VirtualBox 6.1.40 and everything works perfectly. Thank you for your help!
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

You're welcome. Can you please provide the output of vulkaninfo nonetheless? (It's completely independent of which VirtualBox version is installed.)