Windows 2000 Beta 2 stuck before Setup in Starting Up...

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
TrueGodder
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows and Linux

Windows 2000 Beta 2 stuck before Setup in Starting Up...

Post by TrueGodder »

I tried around 17 times to install Windows NT 5.0 Beta 2 in VirtualBox. Always after the blue screen of keyboard setup stucks at Starting Up..., and never goes to the graphical Setup screen. It doesn't care either I upgrade from Windows NT 4.0 or I install it directly.

What I'm using:
RAM: 512 MB
OS to be installed: Windows NT 5.0 Beta 2
Build: 5.0.1671.1
Timebomb: 240 days after the original instalation date
OS VM: Windows NT 4
ISO: usa_1877.1_winNT50.wks_beta2.iso (WinWorld)
Storage limit: 2 GB
What I'm doing wrong?
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 2000 Beta 2 stuck before Setup in Starting Up...

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Note however that we don't consider it a good idea to install betas of a guest OS. Betas often have bugs, and those bugs will not be addressed in VirtualBox since it only cares about known (real) guest OS releases.
TrueGodder

Post by TrueGodder »

mpack wrote:Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Note however that we don't consider it a good idea to install betas of a guest OS. Betas often have bugs, and those bugs will not be addressed in VirtualBox since it only cares about known (real) guest OS releases.
Here is the zip file and a screenshoot.
Attachments
Log.zip
Log
(26.65 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Windows' Status when boot
Windows' Status when boot
VirtualBox_WinNT 5.0 Beta 2_05_01_2023_14_08_54.png (13.48 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Windows NT 5 is Windows 2000, so IMO you should be using the VirtualBox Win2K template, not the NT4 template.

You have Hyper-v enabled on the host. This often interferes with VirtualBox.
00:00:06.075931 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:06.160490 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:06.160510 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetHvPartitionId.
00:00:06.160516 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetPartitionProperty.
00:00:06.160599 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

Next, 16MB is probably not enough graphics RAM. I would increase to 64MB.

Next, you seem to have a number of hardening problems on this host, as evidenced by the following error being repeated numerous times.
00:30:31.007124 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: rc=VERR_SUP_VP_NOT_OWNED_BY_TRUSTED_INSTALLER fImage=1 fProtect=0x5 fAccess=0x2 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe: supHardenedWinVerifyImageByHandle: TrustedInstaller is not the owner of '\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe'.
00:30:31.008316 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: cached rc=VERR_SUP_VP_NOT_OWNED_BY_TRUSTED_INSTALLER fImage=1 fProtect=0x2 fAccess=0x5 cHits=1 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe
You need to investigate why this is happening.

And once again I'll remind you that beta Windows versions are not supported, not even by Microsoft.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Why would you want to install a beta version? You can download an ISO of Windows 2000 Professional with SP4 from multiple sources. I did it this morning and installed it with no problems.
Win2KSp4.PNG
Win2KSp4.PNG (18.25 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Bill
TrueGodder

Post by TrueGodder »

mpack wrote:Windows NT 5 is Windows 2000, so IMO you should be using the VirtualBox Win2K template, not the NT4 template.

You have Hyper-v enabled on the host. This often interferes with VirtualBox.
00:00:06.075931 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:06.160490 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:06.160510 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetHvPartitionId.
00:00:06.160516 NEM: info: Found optional import vid.dll!VidGetPartitionProperty.
00:00:06.160599 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

Next, 16MB is probably not enough graphics RAM. I would increase to 64MB.

Next, you seem to have a number of hardening problems on this host, as evidenced by the following error being repeated numerous times.
00:30:31.007124 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: rc=VERR_SUP_VP_NOT_OWNED_BY_TRUSTED_INSTALLER fImage=1 fProtect=0x5 fAccess=0x2 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe: supHardenedWinVerifyImageByHandle: TrustedInstaller is not the owner of '\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe'.
00:30:31.008316 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: cached rc=VERR_SUP_VP_NOT_OWNED_BY_TRUSTED_INSTALLER fImage=1 fProtect=0x2 fAccess=0x5 cHits=1 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe
You need to investigate why this is happening.

And once again I'll remind you that beta Windows versions are not supported, not even by Microsoft.
Well, first of all:
I used the Win2K template to boot the iso, and everytime I did it it just kept me saying "A critical error appeared and the VM has been shut down" or something like that. In Win NT 4 this didn't happen so I used this one.

Second:
As far as I know, and I've checked it twice, Hyper-V is disabled on my pc. And I can attach a screenshoot for you can check.

Third:
I have incresed it at 64 MB. The result is the same.

And last:
I've been investigating the error multiple times, and I never got a result.

Also I tried the Beta 3 and the same results appeared. In Beta 1, this didn't happen and I could install it correctly.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

The best way to know for sure whether the Windows hypervisor is interfering with VirtualBox is to read the reference given above by mpack. If you have the green turtle instead of the normal white V on a blue background, the hypervisor is loaded.
Bill
TrueGodder

Post by TrueGodder »

I finally solved the error. I followed the steps of this post:

viewtopic.php?t=98642#p487024

And it worked!

Thank all you for help!
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Glad you got sorted out and wish you well, but you could have got there 2 days earlier if you had followed the link provided in mpack's response to the log you submitted.
TrueGodder

Post by TrueGodder »

multiOS wrote:Glad you got sorted out and wish you well, but you could have got there 2 days earlier if you had followed the link provided in mpack's response to the log you submitted.
Yes, but the thing is that I followed every solution I found there and on Google, and it didn't work until I found that one.