Can Windows 10 license key be activated on a VM in Ubuntu host?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
miths3

Can Windows 10 license key be activated on a VM in Ubuntu host?

Post by miths3 »

Hello,

I have a new laptop ThinkPad E14 Gen2 (with 8GB soldered RAM + 8 GB slotted and AMD Ryzen 3 4300U 4 core, 4 threads CPU) with Windows 10 pre-installed and am considering an option to remove Windows and install Ubuntu.
If I install Windows 10 as a VM guest on an Ubuntu host on this laptop, can I activate the Windows 10 license key via VM?

The laptop seller told that you can't use the same Windows key on another laptop hardware, which is rather disappointing. This means that even if I would like to remove Windows totally from the original ThinkPad laptop and would not use Windows in any way on this laptop, still I can't use the supplied Windows license key on any other laptop, like HP or Asus. Is there really no way to emulate the hardware of an original Lenovo ThinkPad E14 in a Windows VM guest on any other Ubuntu host?
Rootman

Re: Can Windows 10 license key be activated on a VM in Ubuntu host?

Post by Rootman »

There are some Windows licenses that are considered OEM licenses and Microsoft sells these to manufacturers and they activate the license themselves. It is sometimes keyed to a specific CPU or motherboard.

Google oemkey.exe, you need to run it on a Windows OS. Find and save the OEM key that came with the laptop. Put your desired Linux OS on the laptop, install VirtualBox and then download the latest Windows ISO from Microsoft. Install the OS and make sure it's on the network with internet connectivity. Try using the key, if it works, you're in, if it does not you will need to purchase a Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 license and use it. Be careful with cheap activation codes, they are often stolen or activated over and over and may eventually be blacklisted.
miths3

Post by miths3 »

A first option for me on the ThinkPad laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed is installing a Linux OS for regular use in dual boot with Windows.
But I wouldn't like to connect Windows to the Internet so far and would like to use Windows software offline there.
If I don't connect Windows to the internet and won't activate the license key provided by the supplier for some time, can it be disabled or blacklisted etc?

I just wanted to inquire about the general possibility of activating Windows key on a Windows VM guest in a Linux host, as a backup option.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Windows will activate in a Virtualbox VM on any host OS.

There are offline options to activate Windows using a telephone and entering codes. You can web-search and try these with your non-internet VM.

You will simply have to try if the laptop license will work in the VM. It may or may not. If it does not, you'll have to pony up for a new license, or run Windows 10 unactivated (which Microsoft appears to be allowing for the time being).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

miths3 wrote: If I install Windows 10 as a VM guest on an Ubuntu host on this laptop, can I activate the Windows 10 license key via VM?
That is really a question for Microsoft. VirtualBox will put no barrier in your way, but Microsoft/Win10 might.

Typically in the modern era, there is a digital key stored in nvmem somewhere in the motherboard. You can reinstall Windows from scratch and it will pick up that key and remain activated as long as the hardware matches. In a VM that digital key will of course not be present, so you'll have to provide activation by some other means. Whether you can re-use the same key, I would think: morally yes, but practically - I have no idea. All my Windows installs use a special "VM only" product key bought for the purpose, as it means that I dont' even have to consider whether I'm ethically anchored to a particular host PC.