how to use the command correctly?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Germanbuss

how to use the command correctly?

Post by Germanbuss »

Hello, I enter this command in my console, and it performs these actions non-stop, how do I do it only 1 time?
VBoxManage.exe controlvm Win10 keyboardputscancode 51 1c
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: how to use the command correctly?

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox only sends a single event. What you are seeing is standard guest OS keyboard driver behaviour.

Keyboard events consist of a key press, hopefully followed some time later by a key release. In between those events the guest keyboard driver will typically implement an automatic key repeat.

If you don't want it to repeat then send the key release code (same code or'ed with 0x80).

Currently you are simulating two stuck keys.
Germanbuss

Post by Germanbuss »

mpack wrote:VirtualBox only sends a single event. What you are seeing is standard guest OS keyboard driver behaviour.

Keyboard events consist of a key press, hopefully followed some time later by a key release. In between those events the guest keyboard driver will typically implement an automatic key repeat.

If you don't want it to repeat then send the key release code (same code or'ed with 0x80).

Currently you are simulating two stuck keys.
I tried to type like this, am I doing something wrong?
enter 2 commands
1- VBoxManage.exe controlvm Win10(11) keyboardputscancode 51 1c
2- VBoxManage.exe controlvm Win10(11) keyboardputscancode 80
not stop
i try
1- VBoxManage.exe controlvm Win10(11) keyboardputscancode 51 1c
2- VBoxManage.exe controlvm Win10(11) keyboardputscancode 51 1c
not stop...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

TLDR: You need to read and comprehend the Virtualbox manual and linked tutorials. You're still sending only the "press" codes, not the "release" codes. And sending code 80 isn't what was instructed nor what's needed to release the keys so they don't repeat in the VM OS.

From my read of your scan codes, you're trying to press Page Down (hex 51) then Enter (hex 1c)

From the manual on VBoxManage controlvm "vm name" keyboardputscancode
: Sends commands using keycodes to the VM. Keycodes are documented in the public domain. For
example: http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-1.html.
Going to that link reveals that keyboard scan codes require a "press" code and a "release" code. In other words, a code for the key going down, then another code for the key going up. So to simulate a use of the key 'A', you'd need the press code for A, then the release code for A. You're only entering the press code. Thus the key stays down and never comes up.

Mpack's instruction to "or the scan code with 0x80" does not mean to send scan code 80. :wink: It means to do a logic OR operation with the hex press scan code and the hex value 80, to get the hex release scan code. The linked tutorial in the manual mentions the same thing:
The scancode for key release (`break') is obtained from it by setting the high order bit (adding 0x80 = 128).
Adding 0x80 is the same thing as OR'ing with 0x80. It's hexadecimal math, and you'll have to wrap your head around it to understand how to use hex keyboard scan codes. A decent host OS calculator will have a programming setting to allow you to do hexadecimal math. You simply set to hex input, enter the hex press scan code, then add hex 80. the result is the release scan code.

Alternative to hex math: web-search more for a list of scan codes that include both press and release codes for each key. The list is out there, I just found one.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

One possible scan code sequence would be "51 d1 1c 9c". But I'd prefer "e0 51 e0 d1 1c 9c", because it'd be independent of the NumLock state then. ;) VirtualBox automatically waits 10 ms between the scan codes, BTW.