w10 x64 guest fail with wifi and profinet

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
chechoB

w10 x64 guest fail with wifi and profinet

Post by chechoB »

hi.

my apologizes, it's my first post

I used, many times, a small tplink wifi router, without problems.

Now I have this problem.

environment; host W10 x64, network wired and onboard wifi adapter
                   guest W10 x64, network adapters in bridge mode

problem:

when i use a wired profinet connection everything is ok.
 but using a wifi connection (as router or as access point), host successfully ping ok the plc (172.20.231.201), but guest don't ping the plc (sent 4 lost 4, or even can't reach the network)

I repeat, I used it many times before without problems. Now I try 2 different routers with the same problem. even doing a factory reset on both.

I try static ip's, or using DHCP on host and/or guest.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: w10 x64 guest fail with wifi and profinet

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
chechoB

Post by chechoB »

hi thanks for your reply

unfortunately i can't connect to plc for 2 weeks. i'm not in place right now.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Just to keep in mind, Bridged does not always work with Wi-Fi, see Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: Bridged Adapter. If you have changed the host PC, that could mean new Wi-Fi adapter drivers, which could be one of the things that can upset Bridged over Wi-Fi.
chechoB wrote:successfully ping ok the plc (172.20.231.201)
The VM's IP address must be in the same IP range as the PLC IP address & netmask ranges. These may be correct, because:
chechoB wrote:when i use a wired profinet connection everything is ok.
I'll wager that Wired connection is giving the VM a correct IP address over DHCP, but Wi-Fi for some reason is not.

Please provide, in addition to the log Mpack requested above, the output of "ipconfig /all" from both the host and the VM OS's, when connected over wired Ethernet and over Wi-Fi.
chechoB

Post by chechoB »

hi
scottgus1 wrote:If you have changed the host PC, that could mean new Wi-Fi adapter drivers, which could be one of the things that can upset Bridged over Wi-Fi.
still the same host pc and wireless router/AP, everything is the same as before!
scottgus1 wrote:I'll wager that Wired connection is giving the VM a correct IP address over DHCP, but Wi-Fi for some reason is not.
I even tried using dhcp, or giving manually values of IP and mask.

I forgot to say, only 2 or 3 times i CAN connect VM using wifi , but it takes more than normal time to connect, and a few seconds after that, the connection was lost. I don't remember if it was using dhcp or manually, but I guess it was manually. But remember i can see all devices in the net on the host PC
chechoB

Post by chechoB »

just to take a look. it s just my case

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=90482
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Then you're probably out of luck. AFAIK, VirtualBox still uses its sort of MAC-NAT translation based on IP addresses, and does not support the WDS 4-address mode.
chechoB

Post by chechoB »

Hi

Finally a i have good news.

I gave to the virtual machine the same MAC address of the real machine, and settled promiscuous to MV, and worked really good
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad you're up and running! I wouldn't have though to duplicate the MAC address of the physical PC, those addresses usually have to be unique. But whatever floats the boat, eh? Thanks for letting us know!
chechoB

Post by chechoB »

scottgus1 wrote:Glad you're up and running! I wouldn't have though to duplicate the MAC address of the physical PC, those addresses usually have to be unique. But whatever floats the boat, eh? Thanks for letting us know!
Must be this:
fth0 wrote:AFAIK, VirtualBox still uses its sort of MAC-NAT translation based on IP addresses, and does not support the WDS 4-address mode.