3D hardware accelerator not working

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Imre

3D hardware accelerator not working

Post by Imre »

Hi,

I've installed VirtualBox 7.0.2 and Extension Pack 7.0.2. I've created a Windows 7 virtual machine and installed Windows 7 64bit on it. I've enabled 3D acceleration in the Host with VBoxSVGA driver and set up a 256 MB video card memory. Then I've istalled VirtualBox Guest Additions amd64 version.

After these steps I do not have 3D hardware acceleration.

I've read in the documentation that I have to click "No" to the "Would You Like to Install Basic Direct3D Support" question. But I never get this question when installing Guest Additions. I can only untick the 3D accelerator option and after that there is a question about System tools and about Windows not recognising drivers.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 3D hardware accelerator not working

Post by mpack »

Imre wrote: I've read in the documentation that I have to click "No" to the "Would You Like to Install Basic Direct3D Support" question.
Can you give a link to that? As far as I know that only ever applied to the XPDM drivers that used to be supplied for XP and Vista. Drivers that no longer exist, so any docs referring to that would be rather old.

As to your problem, we need to see a VM log. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Imre

Post by Imre »

Here is the documentation (I had to alter the link as I have no right yet to post a link): https://docs.oracle.com/en/virtualizati ... tadd-video

I've attached the log file.
Attachments
Windows 7-2022-11-12-16-45-05.zip
(41.89 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I get a DNS fail when I try to access your link. Also, I would expect VirtualBox documentation to be on the virtualbox.org domain, I would not go to an Oracle site.

What graphics card do you have on this host?
Imre

Post by Imre »

Replace w w w . with h t t p s : / / , I also get DNS error with my link.

GIGABYTE Radeon R9 380 Gaming G1 4GB GDDR5
bluecup

Post by bluecup »

I'm interesting in how this could be resolved. After upgrading to vm box 7, I could feel the boxes are faster, though I also have issue on 3D acceleration. Screen is blur, and black lines appear. If I run dxdiag command, or any other game require direct 3d (even a very light weight game), it will give me a black screen, then I could press ESC to quit it.

The other thing is the new VM box cannot open the 6.1's windows 7 image (windows can't start with blue screen) unless I disabled 3d acceleration.

Hopefully this could be resolved soon. At this moment I have to switch back to 6.1 for better support.