Windows 11 22h2 + Update to VB7 = virtuel maschines dead on start

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Daniel277

Windows 11 22h2 + Update to VB7 = virtuel maschines dead on start

Post by Daniel277 »

Hello together,

I updated my Computer to Windows 11 22H2. After the Update my virtual machines with VB6 where not working. Therefore I updated to the newest VB7 Version.
I checked that no hyper V stuff is enabled.
I activated 3D support.
I deinstalled / reinstalled Virtual Box.

I can start my VM - Windows 10 start screen - enter Password and instead dead of the machine. (sometimes it stays for 1-2 minutes.) - I tried to upgrade the VB extensions guest additions to 7 - but it takes to long, the machine break down.
VMstatusPic
VMstatusPic
VMdead.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
I have no idea what settings I need that the machine can run again.

I attached the Log.

Thanks for help,
Daniel
Attachments
VBox.log
Log
(106.83 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 11 22h2 + Update to VB7 = virtuel maschines dead on start

Post by scottgus1 »

7.0 is just out of beta and still has bugs to hunt down. You can continue to use the old version of Virtualbox, or at least a 6.1 version, in Windows 11.

Virtualbox does, however, require a reinstall after a host OS major update. That could be why the VMs didn't run.

Also, host Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
luc0x61

Post by luc0x61 »

I've been facing a similar issue for weeks, unable to start VM in a decent way. That drove me nuts, as until that update it all worked, and since I installed other software and made changes I couldn't understand what was the primary cause.
Then looking around for errors in the log and possible causes I came to this solution, which has been definitive:
-- sorry, looks like this silly forum doesn't let me post URLs: look for it on Microsoft site for credential-guard-manage

All the problems are caused by "Windows Defender Credential Guard" which by default, since version 22H2, overrides VT-x rendering it unusable by VirtualBox. This is at least an insane hidden update. :evil:
The solution is exactly in the words of Microsoft, disabling it in the Group Policy. Note that you can't leave it as Not Configured, but you shall explicitly make it Disabled.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

luc0x61 wrote:looks like this silly forum doesn't let me post URLs:
luc0x61, this 'silly' forum doesn't let first-post users post URLs because it keeps first-post spammers from destroying the forum. So now you know why. It is a capital indication of wisdom to not attack a procedure until one understands it. :wink:

You don't need to post links to MS's Credential Guard on the first post for two reasons:

1. Absolutely anything that a first post needs to be posted can be posted using the Upload Attachment tab (often within a zip file), including text files with the URL inside if you truly feel a URL is needed.

2. We've known about Credential Guard interfering with Virtualbox's use of hardware virtualization for years. As can be seen if you read the link in the post directly above yours. You're seriously late to the party on this discovery.

Which leads us to another indication of wisdom: actually reading the existing posts in the topic and trying the links already posted before adding a me-too, etc. :wink:

Thanks for letting us know what you've discovered!