VB 6.1 -Windows 10 20H2 display issues and freeze

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Kukulkan

VB 6.1 -Windows 10 20H2 display issues and freeze

Post by Kukulkan »

Hi,

I did a fresh gutest install of Windows 10 and let it upgrade to 20H2. I had transparency issues from the beginning and needed to disable 3D acceleration in the VM settings.

Now it works for the transparency issues, but now I get freeze every now and then. It freezes the display for 5 to 20 seconds (mouse pointer still moving but apps not responding). In this time, there is no extra CPU usage notable on the host (OpenSUSE Leap 15.3).

Any idea how to stop this?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VB 6.1 -Windows 10 20H2 display issues and freeze

Post by mpack »

20H2? That seems unlikely. The current Win10 update release is 22H2.

You never needed to disable 3D accleration to get rid of transparency issues, just disable transparency effects in Windows 10.

We'll need a log in order to comment on other matters. Note however that the site is currently rejecting local attachments, so it will need to be an offsite link for now.
Kukulkan

Post by Kukulkan »

Thanks. My Info dialog from Windows showing me Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Build 19042.2130. It tells me that there are no more updates available. So this seems fine.

I now tried disabling transparency in Windows settings and re-activated VirtualBox 3D acceleration in the VM settings. I can confirm that this is working now so far :)

Still not sure if the freezes will occur again. So I test it for a while now...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Freezes are often caused by over or under- resourcing the VM. Don't allocate more or less than 2 CPU cores. Don't allocate RAM your host can't afford to lose. Make sure to max out the graphics RAM parameter.