VBox 7.0.2 WinXP Guest boot loop on Win11 Host

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Rob_ZA
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Debian, Windows,

VBox 7.0.2 WinXP Guest boot loop on Win11 Host

Post by Rob_ZA »

Hi guys

There aren't any saved states and VM was powered off abnormally as the OS couldn't load. Guest boot loops into the screen to choose the various Safe Mode options, Last Known Good Config or Start Windows Normally with the 30 second count down.

In safe mode, I managed to screen cap the last Windows 'message' before the VM rebooted just after loading \Drivers\Mup.sys;
"ata0 master: VBOX HARDDISK ATA-6 Hard-Disk (130048 MBytes)"

The last time this guest was powered up was under VBox 6.1.38 with associated extension pack installed.

I did the usual and disabled most VBox options for the guest and played around with disk controller types, still the same error condition.

Thanks!
Rob
Attachments
VBox.zip
Contains only 'VBox.log' from last boot.
(25.06 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Re: VBox 7.0.2 WinXP Guest boot loop on Win11 Host

Post by birdie »

7.0 has a major regression and my XP guest has stopped working as well.

Please leave a comment here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21221
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21191
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21192

Though it looks like developers have stopped paying attention to their bug tracker :(
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

The Oracle bug tracking system is not updated very much by devs. A bug may be open for a month or two and then fixed in a release, but the bug may still have no changes to it and may be closed in another month or two after the release or stay open for a long time.

Do not use bug updates or lack of updates to assume anything, unless the updates are from Oracle devs and explicitly say something.

If you want to raise a bug and see how it is progressing then you will need to buy VirtualBox commercial support from Oracle as we are used as free testing (been posted a number of times by forum moderators like the following: "
In fact all free Virtualbox users are beta testers for whatever version they're running. 7.0 will need lots of testing and bug fixes for some time yet.")
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Post by birdie »

AndyCot wrote:The Oracle bug tracking system is not updated very much by devs. A bug may be open for a month or two and then fixed in a release, but the bug may still have no changes to it and may be closed in another month or two after the release or stay open for a long time.

Do not use bug updates or lack of updates to assume anything, unless the updates are from Oracle devs and explicitly say something.

If you want to raise a bug and see how it is progressing then you will need to buy VirtualBox commercial support from Oracle as we are used as free testing (been posted a number of times by forum moderators like the following: "
In fact all free Virtualbox users are beta testers for whatever version they're running. 7.0 will need lots of testing and bug fixes for some time yet.")
Good point, I've reverted to 6.1.40 where everything just works.

I couldn't care less about Windows 11, TPM or Secure Boot.
Rob_ZA
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Debian, Windows,

Re: VBox 7.0.2 WinXP Guest boot loop on Win11 Host [Resolved]

Post by Rob_ZA »

This issue has been resolved in VBox 7.0.4.

After installation I booted my XP VM in safe mode as it kept boot looping under normal startup. Then updated the v7.0.4 extension pack and rebooted. All working as it should.

To avoid having to re-activate, don't uninstall the old extension pack while in safe mode. I had to restore an old backup and performed the above.

Thanks, Devs!