Keyboard and mouse input not working with Windows 11 guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Spanska

Keyboard and mouse input not working with Windows 11 guest

Post by Spanska »

Hi,

VirtualBox has always been extremely slow on my 8 CPU Core and 32GB RAM MacBook Pro. To the point where I cannot really use it because the mouse is always very sluggish. With VirtualBox 7 released and the possibility to install Windows 11, I thought I could try it again and see if some changes resolved my performance issues. So far the setup has been just as slow. I managed to install Windows 11 as well as the Guest Additions. After that, the VM rebooted and when I get into Windows 11, I have no working keyboard or mouse input.

Any pointer as to what could be causing this?

Sending a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to the VM doesn't trigger the menu to lock the screen either.

Thank you!
Spanska

Re: Keyboard and mouse input not working with Windows 11 guest

Post by Spanska »

I cannot recall where I saw the suggestion, but someone had suggested to use "PS/2 Mouse" in the VirtualBox settings for the pointing device. It made the mouse working but the VM is so slow it takes several minutes for a window to open or close. Is there anything I can try to figure out what could be causing the performance problem?

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Spanska wrote:Is there anything I can try to figure out what could be causing the performance problem?
You should know the answer to that: post a zipped VM log.
Logixor

Post by Logixor »

I have just installed W11 Pro for WS and ran into the same problem after installing the "Guest Additions for Windows" and restarting the VM.

Switching to PS/2 Mouse resolved my problem. But yes, still the VM has an unbearable performance.