Afted update to VB 7 Windows 11 VM freezes on bootscreen

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Afted update to VB 7 Windows 11 VM freezes on bootscreen

Post by fth0 »

The VBoxHardening.log file shows that your PC is owned by Symantec and Comodo. This may or may not play a role.

Since it apparently didn't play a role, you can re-install LG OnScreen Control. Note that it's rejected by the VirtualBoxVM process.

The VBox.log file shows a boot completed within ~30 seconds, several display related events afterwards and a hang after ~9 minutes. Does this match your observations?
rexcat

Post by rexcat »

fth0 wrote:The VBoxHardening.log file shows that your PC is owned by Symantec and Comodo. This may or may not play a role.

Since it apparently didn't play a role, you can re-install LG OnScreen Control. Note that it's rejected by the VirtualBoxVM process.

The VBox.log file shows a boot completed within ~30 seconds, several display related events afterwards and a hang after ~9 minutes. Does this match your observations?
The system startup time is sometimes faster, and the system freeze time is random.
Today, I did the following test on the random freezing problem of win11 vm
1. Install 7.0GA, do not check 3D acceleration, the operating system will freeze randomly
2. Uninstall 7.0GA in safe mode, do not check 3D acceleration, run the system for 30 minutes without freezing
3. Install 6.1.38GA in safe mode, do not check 3D acceleration, run the system for 30 minutes without freezing
4. Install 7.0GA in safe mode, check 3D acceleration, run the system for 30 minutes without freezing
5. Under the condition that 7.0GA has been installed, only uninstall the WDDM driver in safe mode, do not check 3D acceleration, run the system for 30 minutes without freezing
Attachments
Logs_Logof5tests.7z
(201.54 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Comparing the VBox.log files, I don't see anything indicating the cause for the VM freeze. What do you mean by VM freeze, BTW? What does still work and what not? Did you resize the VM window in all your tests?
rexcat

Post by rexcat »

fth0 wrote:Comparing the VBox.log files, I don't see anything indicating the cause for the VM freeze. What do you mean by VM freeze, BTW? What does still work and what not? Did you resize the VM window in all your tests?
The detailed symptoms of the problem are as follows.
Win11 vm must turn off 3D acceleration because of the problem that the transparent effect cannot be displayed correctly.
When VB is upgraded from 6.1.X to 7.0, the Win11 VM will randomly freeze the system when it is running, and cannot perform any operations. You can only use "power off the machine" to shut down the VM. When the problem occurs, viewing the VM Activity will show that the guest load is very high, and the host process shows that the virtualboxvm.exe process of the problem VM has a high cpu usage rate, and the running non-win11 system VM can still run normally at this time.
During testing, the VM window is resized to determine if the video driver is working. The last test did not resize the VM window because the video driver was uninstalled.
rexcat

Post by rexcat »

Upgrading to 7.0.2 still has this problem, the following is a screenshot of the vm activity that has the problem.
Attachments
vmactivity.jpg
vmactivity.jpg (120.6 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

The session Information window shows that the vCPU(s) generate ~75% CPU load, which indicates that the guest OS is executing CPU instructions. Disk I/O and network I/O stopped, but the VM is technically alive generating VM exits. What does your favorite task manager inside the guest OS show in this situation?

It's still not clear what you mean by "the Win11 VM will randomly freeze the system".
rexcat

Post by rexcat »

fth0 wrote:The session Information window shows that the vCPU(s) generate ~75% CPU load, which indicates that the guest OS is executing CPU instructions. Disk I/O and network I/O stopped, but the VM is technically alive generating VM exits. What does your favorite task manager inside the guest OS show in this situation?

It's still not clear what you mean by "the Win11 VM will randomly freeze the system".
The guest OS does not respond to any mouse clicks or keyboard input, the "input keyboard" is also invalid, the system interface is in a paused state, and the online video screen is also in a paused state. The entire virtual machine does not accept any interface operation instructions.
Random means that the time from the guest os startup to the occurrence of the problem is uncertain. It may happen just after logging in to the system, and it may take a few minutes or more. The tests in the past few days have found that when playing videos, there must be problems within 10 minutes.
Last edited by rexcat on 22. Oct 2022, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
rexcat

Post by rexcat »

Simple screen recording.
Attachments
test.7z
GIF screen recording
(196.61 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thank you for the tests, the detailed explanations and the simple screen recording.

I understood that the screen output freezes after some runtime with the combination of the VirtualBox 7.0.(0|2) WDDM driver with 3D acceleration disabled running in a Windows 11 guest OS. I could ask you how you know that the guest OS does not respond to mouse clicks and keyboard input, but it is perhaps not important to differentiate between a VM without screen output and a VM completely frozen.
rexcat

Post by rexcat »

fth0 wrote:Thank you for the tests, the detailed explanations and the simple screen recording.

I understood that the screen output freezes after some runtime with the combination of the VirtualBox 7.0.(0|2) WDDM driver with 3D acceleration disabled running in a Windows 11 guest OS. I could ask you how you know that the guest OS does not respond to mouse clicks and keyboard input, but it is perhaps not important to differentiate between a VM without screen output and a VM completely frozen.
If a process occupies a large amount of CPU and causes the system to be slow, the response interface is usually given one by one after a long delay, and sometimes the response interface will be drawn on the screen in slow motion. After this problem, trying to wait a long time without any on-screen feedback, including "ctrl+alt+del" via "input keyboard", and the guest window cannot be resized by dragging.
ProjetGoliath

Post by ProjetGoliath »

I guess you're not alone. I updated to 7.0.2 yesterday (from 6.1.38) and experienced frequent freezes throughout the day where the guest screen was completely frozen (static). It happened at random (sometimes shortly after boot, sometimes after working for longer periods). It seemed to happen when I moving the focus out of the guest VM to do something on the host and back in. I uninstalled 7 and installed 6.1.40 but I experienced the freeze again this morning when I unlocked the PC (left it running overnight). The guest was using CPU and seemed alive but the screen was frozen, same behavior as rexcat screen recording. Same for me, when it occurs, the only option is hard close (file -> close from VM menu).

Have you tried 6.1.40 or just 6.1.38 ?
rexcat

Post by rexcat »

At that time, the test was VB7.0+GA6.1.38. Not tested again after upgrading to 7.0.2.
rexcat

Post by rexcat »

Upgraded to version 7.0.4-154605, the problem still exists.
Dark07perez
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by Dark07perez »

I had the same issue on VB 7.0.2,

I work on Linux Fedora 36, all my VM already have enable 3D acceleration feature, to solve this issue i did the following steps:

1. Update manually guest addition
2. Disable 3D acceleration
Bedroo

Post by Bedroo »

I have the same problem about "the transparent effect cannot be displayed correctly"
I try many things
in facts I face a problem Upgrading Guest Additions as Graphic Cards would not install automatically

It keep show me ( Windows Basic Display Driver ) and even after I successfully installed Graphic Driver
the auto resize feature won't work immediately

but at the end I disabled 3D Acceleration

I thought upgrading to Virtualbox 7 will bring new features but instead it cause problems like this for first time
I used Vmware Workstation before but I removed completely since thy stop support 3D Acceleration for old Graphic Cards

I would not mind going back to version 6.1 if the problem will last for much longer time

thank you for developers who are doing great jobs